Mountain Project Logo

Scarpa Freney XT Mountaineering boots

Original Post
Eagle Mount · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

Hi guys, what can u tell me about Scarpa Freney XT mountaineering boots? I'm interested in your opinions and reviews. thank you

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,931

They've been my "daily boot" for ice climbing for 10+ years. Well built, quite light, about as warm as a boot like that would tend to be (but upgrading the footbed will help minimize heat loss to a crampon - I recommend you do this). Runs true to size, medium width. Totally rigid so I wouldn't want to walk dry ground very far in them. I've never had water get into them, but someone reviewed them online years ago and said they don't breathe well. Sole is semi-curved; they don't pair well with old straight crampons e.g. Charlet Grade 8, but do well with Darts (which I think are representative of most current crampon shapes.

Eagle Mount · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

what can u tell me about water resistance, when boots dont have any goretex or waterproof label? ( there are some scarpa freneys with goretex but some is without it). Thank you

JakeGano · · Anchorage Alaska · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 0

Excellent ice and technical climbing boots.  Mine aren't waterproof any more but that's after many years of abuse. Warm.  I've used mine in -10F and folder days where I am moving.

Insert name · · Conway, New Hampster · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 60

What Mike said.

I used them with a old straight pair of crampons and it didn’t work to well. Work great with my Blade Runners.

The only day my feet got cold in them were on Mt washington (Pinnacle) with a super slpw second and it was around -10.

I second the notion of using different footbeds that were designed to help with cold temps. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Scarpa Freney XT Mountaineering boots"