Mountain Project Logo

Blog post about BMI/Age/Height and grades (from 8a data)

Original Post
Tom Gnyra · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 6,960

Hi all,

I wrote a little thing here: climbcore.wordpress.com/201…  

Basically i took the 8a database and tried some high level visualization on it. I thought the results were nice and the large amount of data gave me a lot of hope in terms of climbing in my 30s/40s, moving towards a lower bmi and height not mattering that much.

Let me know what you think!

Gabe Linderman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 66

This is awesome. Important to note that this is just correlation but its SUPER interesting to look through. Awesome work! 

Gabe Linderman wrote: This is awesome. Important to note that this is just correlation but its SUPER interesting to look through. Awesome work! 

Hey thanks man. If you have any other ideas i can share my code / run it for you.

Doug Hemken · · Madison, WI · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 6,705

You should do some statistical hypothesis testing.

Doug Hemken · · Madison, WI · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 6,705

You might also consider the height and weight components of BMI separately (and think about a quadratic term for weight).

Andrew G · · San Diego, CA · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 384

super cool! would be helpful to have clear data labels for all axes (you do for most, but not all) and figure titles as it's not always obvious which graph represents what.

Stu Hopkins · · Logan, UT · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 30

Wonderful data sets. Always fun to have more arguments when somebody tells me "it's just because you're tall"

Doug Hemken wrote: You might also consider the height and weight components of BMI separately (and think about a quadratic term for weight).

well, i did consider height independently, seemed weakly related. But good idea, i was looking at other formulas for this. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "Blog post about BMI/Age/Height and grades (from…"