Mountain Project Logo

InReach Data Plan Change

Original Post
Ryan O · · Portland, OR · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 56

For InReach users/subscribers:

There was a recent change in InReach services that removed the $25 fee for downgrading a service plan (quote from Garmin provided at the end of this post).

Thoughts on the change? 
I pay the annual/yearly plan to save a few bucks on the monthly bill and end up using the device to check in with my wife a handful of time each month. I’ve never used the tracking (location pings or tracking points) or weather function because it’s costs something above the flat plan rate. It looks like you could up the monthly payment a few dollars to include the tracking and weather function then downgrade to the lowest plan when you return from your trip. With the higher service maybe tracking a trip/climb with the InReach instead of strava/hillmap/gaia/whatnot would save phone battery for camera use? 
————————————————————————————

InReach fee scale: explore.garmin.com/en-US/in…

“”””Any upgrade or downgrade of an annual inReach subscription plan will take effect immediately, and your account will be credited or charged on a prorated basis for any applicable monthly fee price difference within 24 hours of the plan change. Your monthly bill date and your annual plan renewal date will not change.””””

mbk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

I have the same usage pattern and considered doing the same thing, but the truth is I just don't need the tracking.   Maybe if I attempt more serious objectives at some point.

FWIW, the basic weather function works even on the lowest annual plan (it just counts against your 10 messages, which I use very few of).   I haven't felt the need for "premium weather" forecasts, but it would take several @ $1ea to justify upgrading the plan even for one month.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "InReach Data Plan Change"