Mountain Project Logo

Lost: locking carabiners at Tahquitz (top of Traitor Horn)

Original Post
Andrew G · · San Diego, CA · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 383

Fat chance of getting these back, but thought I'd try anyway. I climbed Traitor Horn on Saturday morning and realized Sunday that I'm missing all the locking biners from my anchor rig-- a big blue HMS locker and two smaller old bronze lockers. All the gear was on my harness or in a daypack, so the only thing I can figure is that I set them aside while coiling the rope up top and didn't notice. If anyone found these and is feeling extra kind, I'll offer the standard beer/belay/good karma in exchange for their return.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 311

How about some of what you were smoking....
how else do you forget a major portion of your rack?

Andrew G · · San Diego, CA · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 383

1) I have no clue how I forgot that. I'm quite pissed at myself. That's more value of gear than I've lost cumulatively since I started climbing. I was in a hurry to get back down and got distracted. After belaying up my partner, I stepped around a large rock and am guessing I left them near where the actual anchor was.
2) Are 3 locking biners a major portion of your rack? If so, you are a much bolder climber than me.
3) There's really no need to be a dick. If you want to point and laugh at me, go for it. I obviously made a mistake. We all do sometimes.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 311
Andrew G wrote: 1) I have no clue how I forgot that. I'm quite pissed at myself. That's more value of gear than I've lost cumulatively since I started climbing. I was in a hurry to get back down and got distracted. After belaying up my partner, I stepped around a large rock and am guessing I left them near where the actual anchor was.
2) Are 3 locking biners a major portion of your rack? If so, you are a much bolder climber than me.
3) There's really no need to be a dick. If you want to point and laugh at me, go for it. I obviously made a mistake. We all do sometimes.

Dude lighten up. Yes we all make mistakes. 

Personally I would rather just eat the 4 lockers than go on MP begging to have them returned. 
Style points you know. 
I sincerely do hope you get your gear returned. 
AndrewB · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 40

I'd rather ask for help on a climbing forum (is that not a purpose of this site?) than worry that some old fart looking at a computer screen is going to criticize me. Lighten up dude. Style points. Don't barf you're arrogant "I've been climbing 100 years thus everything I say is golden and everyone cares." Being old, grumpy, and so insecure you'd never ask for assistance on a internet forum because of the impact to your "reputation". Which is what exactly?

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 311
AndrewB wrote: I'd rather ask for help on a climbing forum (is that not a purpose of this site?) than worry that some old fart looking at a computer screen is going to criticize me. Lighten up dude. Style points. Don't barf you're arrogant "I've been climbing 100 years thus everything I say is golden and everyone cares." Being old, grumpy, and so insecure you'd never ask for assistance on a internet forum because of the impact to your "reputation". Which is what exactly?

I’m actually 108 with 100 years experience on the rocks. Lol

Billcoe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 860
Guy Keesee wrote: How about some of what you were smoking....
how else do you forget a major portion of your rack?

I was out soloing once in the middle of near nowhere and walked off and left my whole rack right where I'd left it, at my feet. There were multiple Valley Giants on it, not like it was invisible, I was simply dog tired. There's a lot of things to be paying attention to at the top of a cliff. Falling off for instance. It would be easy to miss some gear. 


Good luck with it Andrew.
Cpn Dunsel · · Over There, But Well Hidden · Joined Jan 2003 · Points: 105
Guy Keesee wrote: How about some of what you were smoking....
how else do you forget a major portion of your rack?

Fatigue, euphoria, or anyone of dozens of other emotional states.

That is how.

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 290
Guy Keesee wrote:

Dude lighten up. Yes we all make mistakes. 

Personally I would rather just eat the 4 lockers than go on MP begging to have them returned. 
Style points you know. 
I sincerely do hope you get your gear returned. 

Its a tough crwd today Guy.   I'm with you though, three lockers is no big deal.  I would just look at it as someone getting a nice gift when they top out.   

Drtysmellyhippy · · Madison, WI · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 0

Sounds like you Cali boys both need to sit down and burn one! Meet me by Tradibans garage I’ll hook ya up. Andrew: Best practice is to clip it back to your harness/gear sling.  That way no one forgets, drops, kicks off edge whatevs. 

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 262
Drtysmellyhippy wrote: Sounds like you Cali boys both need to sit down and burn one! Meet me by Tradibans garage I’ll hook ya up. Andrew: Best practice is to clip it back to your harness/gear sling.  That way no one forgets, drops, kicks off edge whatevs. 

ya'll prolly have some bunk shit in wiscansin so pass. If tradibans taste for weed is anything like his taste for beer you will be smoking that brown shit.

there is currently a secret stash of DANK at the top of tahquitz if you know where to look... You are welcome

AndrewB · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 40
Drtysmellyhippy wrote: Sounds like you Cali boys both need to sit down and burn one! Meet me by Tradibans garage I’ll hook ya up. Andrew: Best practice is to clip it back to your harness/gear sling.  That way no one forgets, drops, kicks off edge whatevs. 

Fine I'll make like a towel, take back the negativity, and just say don't hate. I don't always post my anger, but when I do, I always regret it.

apogee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 0

"I don't always post my anger, but when I do, I always regret it."

FACT

Drtysmellyhippy · · Madison, WI · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 0
master gumby wrote:

ya'll prolly have some bunk shit in wiscansin so pass. If tradibans taste for weed is anything like his taste for beer you will be smoking that brown shit.

there is currently a secret stash of DANK at the top of tahquitz if you know where to look... You are welcome

LMAO MG if you really knew Tradiban you’ld know he don’t toke. And no need to pass, you weren’t invited bruh! But I tell ya what there aye(Wisco accent) insulting a wisconsinites beer a good way to get hurt...jk sorta! Go pack go!  You’re sorta right, except for the fact  my genetics came from Cali, agriculture is what we do here, and this isnt my first time round the block. Also lived and worked in both CA, CO soooo....perhaps I .know a thing or two.

Ps.keep your stash, or better yet share because it seems like some folks need it more than me. 
master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 262
Drtysmellyhippy wrote:

LMAO MG if you really knew Tradiban you’ld know he don’t toke. And no need to pass, you weren’t invited bruh! But I tell ya what there aye(Wisco accent) insulting a wisconsinites beer a good way to get hurt...jk sorta! Go pack go!  You’re sorta right, except for the fact  my genetics came from Cali, agriculture is what we do here, and this isnt my first time round the block. Also lived and worked in both CA, CO soooo....perhaps I .know a thing or two.

Ps.keep your stash, or better yet share because it seems like some folks need it more than me. 

LOL YU RIGHT BRAJMAHALLA.

I thought you guys grew cheese out there? wanst aware that was agriculture.... but shit you learn something new everyday.

Maybe I'll start passing out joints at the base of tahquitz on the weekend - great idea smelly hippies for the win.
Andrew G · · San Diego, CA · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 383

good lord. well... i guess thanks everyone for giving my cry-for-help better visibility??

Gumby King · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 25

PBR is not a good beer unless its being compared to Natural Light

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Lost: locking carabiners at Tahquitz (top of Tr…"

Log In to Reply