Mountain Project Logo

2019 Devils Lake Craggin' Classic discussion thread

Original Post
Scott Wilton · · Madison, WI · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 20

Hi everyone,

The Devils Lake Craggin Classic is coming up in less than a month on October 11th – 13th, and I wanted to start this thread as a place to discuss what the event is about, ask questions, and coordinate carpools! For those that don't know, the Craggin' Classics are a series of climbing festival hosted by the American Alpine Club each fall, and the DLCC is the only one in the midwest. These festivals are a celebration of all things climbing: community, learning, and giving back to the crag. We hope to create welcoming events for brand new climbers, veteran climbers, and everyone hoping to partake in the great sport of climbing!

There's lots of good info on the event webpage, and you can also follow along on the Facebook event for updates. But I wanted to do more than just advertise the event with this thread. Inclusivity is one of the primary goals of the event, and one of the ways we can help all people attend the event is by carpooling! If you've already registered but are looking for a ride, or are unsure if you would be able to attend due to transport, this is a great place to post. Also, as climbers we're unique aware of the impacts that our current lifestyles are having on the planet, and sharing a ride from Chicago or the Twin Cities (or even Baraboo) is an awesome small way that we can adjust our actions on a day-to-day basis. This event is also focusing on reducing our waste, so we request that you bring your reusable plates, cups, and cutlery for the weekend. (They don't need to be camping plates/cups/etc either, just grab something from your kitchen!)

I also want to shout out the Saturday clinics. They are an extra cost in addition to the weekend pass, but they are significantly cheaper than a similar course would be outside of the event and offer some topics you wouldn't find anywhere else. A huge thanks goes to Devils Lake Climbing Guides for offering their services at an awesome price so that we can extend that same discount onto you. Many of the clinics are already sold out, but there are some unique ones like Climbing Photography and Sketching at the Crag that still have a few slots. Our clinics always sell out, so get on it!

I'll be checking this thread periodically for questions, but you can also find my email on the event webpage if you have a specific question you'd like answered more promptly.

Scott Wilton,
DLCC Event Coordinator
American Alpine Club

Duane Dittmar · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0

Driving down from Wausau on Friday if someone needs a ride.

Eric Stone · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 10

I’m interested in going but I’m hesitant because of of crowding and having difficulty finding a spot to set up top rope. Are top ropes set up and the crag turned into a gym atmosphere or is it everyone for themselves trying to claim spots to climb?

Sean Peter · · IL · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 105

You won't have trouble finding somewhere to set up a rope.  The most classic climbs will probably have ropes hanging off them- but there are plenty of lesser travelled areas.  I'm certain you could have a whole area to yourself if you wanted.
That said- if by "gym environment" you mean "Are people willing to share top-ropes?  Yes, very often.  And there will be groups that form and go out for just that purpose.  You can often get far more pitches in at an event like this because of sharing if you are looking to top-rope.

Sky Yardeni · · Boulder, CO · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 10

Hi y'all, I rented a car from O'Hare International Airport in Chicago and will be driving to and from Devil's Lake for the Craggin' Classic.
I'll be leaving O'Hare Friday, October 11th at 10:00-11:00am and leaving Devil's lake Sunday October 13th at around 2:00pm.
If you would like to ride with me any or both ways, let me know!!  skyyardeni@gmail.com

Matt S. · · Milwaukee, WI · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

The GF and I signed up but we were curious as to how the campsites work.  When we show up at Wheeler do we get assigned a site when we "check in"?

Scott Wilton · · Madison, WI · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 20

Matt,

From the bottom of the event webpage:

TENT CAMPING and CAMPSITES:
Camping at the venue is restricted to event attendees with a weekend pass and there are no specific site reservations. Indeed, there will be no specific campsites, and tents can be set up first come, first serve in a few different wide-open grass areas giving the event a more communal feel described by past participants as “base-camp style.” You can choose to camp closer or farther from the main festival happenings depending on your noise and bedtime preferences.

Hope that helps.

David Ott · · Glen Ellyn, IL · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0

Wishing I could make it :(

Travis D · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0

Anyone interested in a general weekend pass for $60 ($10 off)? I signed up and am unable to go and am looking to transfer my spot. Contact me on my profile if you are interested.

Brad Larson · · portland · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

Looks like I'll be there Thursday and Friday beforehand without a partner. Would love to meet up for super easy trad or any sort of toproping.

Duane Dittmar · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0

Thank you to all the dedicated people who worked so hard to put on this wonderful event. Most don't even realize the tremendous effort it takes to plan, organize and execute an event like this so guys like me can enjoy it.  THANK YOU!!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "2019 Devils Lake Craggin' Classic discussion th…"