Mountain Project Logo

West Side Cascades, Darrington, Infinite Bliss Conditions

Original Post
Paul L · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 225

I know the OR Cascades are seeing a few flurries at higher elevations this past week, and winter is on the way.  
How are conditions up in WA on the west side?  I'd like to get up and tick off some routes before the season runs out, and am wondering about how long I have left.. 

Kyle Elliott · · Picnic Point, WA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,533

Was recently up in Darrington and conditions were good but it's been raining heavily since so i expect even a nice day will have plenty of wetness but no snow yet. Besides as Matt Perkins once told me , you can climb in Darrington, even when wet, because the nature of the crystals in the rock. It works! Just watch out for slime.

You might check out training day on quartz mountain down the middle fork as well. I've been up there as early as april and as late as November with no meaningful snow or wet streaks. 

Paul L · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 225

Thanks for that.

It's been raining so much!  I had double hernia repair in mid July that had me out until a couple weeks ago.  I wasn't too bummed about it as usually July/August are too hot to enjoy locally and I'm so busy with work I can't travel far.  Thought I'd be coming back right into prime fall weather.. and then all this rain.  
Fingers crossed for a couple dry weeks in a row before the sogginess really sets in.. 

calvino · · Marblemount, WA · Joined May 2010 · Points: 425

edit: I was up at WA Pass today and the snow is sticking to a few of the nearby summits towards Rainy Pass. The Liberty Bell formation was dry/clear. Larches are just starting to turn, and I would guess there will be one more good week of clear weather before it's over

Curt Veldhuisen · · Bellingham, WA · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 862

Yup, high country is iffy, but Darrington is much lower and usually has chunks of good weather in October. This LINK is a good source for real time conditions nearby.

Hope you get in some quality outings after your rough summer!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "West Side Cascades, Darrington, Infinite Bliss…"