Mountain Project Logo

Broken Petzl Irvis Hybrid Heel

Original Post
Blake McElroy · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 0

Hey all. I recently picked up some used Petzl Irvis Hybrids for really cheap. The only problem is that one of the spikes on the very rear of one of the crampons is broken off. I contacted Petzl to find an estimated repair cost, and they told me they don’t carry the heel piece and my only option is to buy the $100 set of Kit Cord Tec heels. Im not doing this, since only one side is broken, and obviously the original heel piece exists because the crampons exist. Any way to contact the manufacturer or repair myself? Thanks

Punter S Thompson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 0

You bought a pair of broken crampons?

You contacted the manufacturer. They told you what to do, but apparently you don't like their solution.

I suppose you could weld on a bit of steel and file it to a profile similar to the original tooth. Sounds way less reliable and more time consuming than fixing it properly either with a replacement heel or a new set of crampons.

mario molina · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0

Both Grivel and BD sell heel pieces, which also happen to almost, almost match Petzl adjustment bars.
A little filing/drilling and you'll be back up and running.
Check eBay.

Micah H · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

There's a reason you got them for cheap.

Yes the part exists, but Petzl isn't required to provide it to you a la carte.  You're SOL.

Contact the manufacturer?  Who do you think Petzl is?  

The heels are aluminum, so welding is a terrible option.  Not that it would be a good option with steel, but it wouldn't be as terrible.

Lane Aasen · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 90

The Kit Cord-Tec heel is the exact replacement piece you would want. Sounds like the only issue is that it is only sold in pairs.

You can probably get away with using them as-is. The aluminum heel pieces won't work well on rock or ice to begin with. If a broken heel point is causing an issue then you should probably be using full steel crampons anyway.

These are specialized crampons. They make sacrifices (aluminum heel, small front section, fragile cord) for weight. I love them and use them a lot, but they do have limitations.

Punter S Thompson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 0

You're right, Micah! I forgot they have an aluminum heel, so welding isn't a good option.

The Irvis doesn't have bars.

Maybe your best bet is to buy another pair of busted crampons and cobble together a working set. 

Jason4Too · · Bellingham, Washington · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

Lane nailed it.  You asked for replacement parts, the manufacturer offered replacement parts.  I suspect they only sell them in pairs since the typical use case for replacement is for worn down points, not for a single broken point.  I have a pair of the leopard crampons and they are sweet but are definitely a specialty tool for a specific purpose.

You might try posting up a wanted add in the classifieds to see if someone might have a solo crampon for sale or some other way to find a used heel piece.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Broken Petzl Irvis Hybrid Heel"