Mountain Project Logo

Passing on Dragonflies...mistake?

Original Post
Live Perched · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 11

After a long wait, I got a chance to squeeze the trigger on a couple DMM Dragonflies.  I didn't buy them.

In that size range, I currently rack:

• Metolius Mastercams 00, 0, 1 (Silver, Purple and Blue w thumb loops)
  • Totems: Black and Blue
  • BD: Yellow 3CU
  • Camp: Red and Black Tricams
And I have but don't carry BD: Red, Purple and Green 3CUs.

The Dragonflies seem most comparable to the Mastercams.  The Dragonflies are far more flexible than Mastercams and slightly more compact across the lobes.  And like other DMM cams, they feel great in my hand.  The trigger action is smoother than the action on Mastercams.  

The Mastercams have more distance between cam lobes and the trigger bar (bar connected to the cam lobes by the trigger cord; not the piece you pull). That distance seems pretty important and why I passed.  (That and the unpleasant idea of having more cams in my closet and less $s in my pocket.)  When I place the micro-cams, I am uncomfortable if they are not seated just right and as deep as possible.  A shallow micro-cam placement feels like placebo (feels good idea and might work 30% of the time).  Getting a micro-cam deep and still being able to peak the lobes, require that little bit of distance.  To be fair, the trigger bar on the Dragonflies is much narrower than on the Mastercams.

Since the first batch of Dragonflies are largely sold out, can owners share their experiences placing them and what they replaced on your racks?
Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 200

I don’t know but I’ll take that purple c3 from ya if you’re not using it.

Bill Kirby · · San Francisco CA · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

I say whatever you feel the most confident placing and when placed you feel like its going to catch you. It's like most gear, find what works best for you.

Hobo Greg wrote: I don’t know but I’ll take that purple c3 from ya if you’re not using it.

No thanks.  Those BD 3CU are handy now and again. I still rack those in special situations. 

Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 200
Live Perched wrote:

No thanks.  Those BD 3CU are handy now and again. I still rack those in special situations. 

What if I offered up that black totem I bootied?

Hobo Greg wrote:

Sweet offer.  What does it look like?  If not me maybe another hoarder will fill your ask.

Bryan · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 351
Hobo Greg wrote:

For real? I have a purple C3 but I don't know if I could actually bring myself to get rid of it. That's a great cam. But so is the black totem...

Matt Westlake · · Durham, NC · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 632

I picked up the tiniest one (green) to supplement the smallest end of my rack. It feels a bit like a well made alien and a bit noodly, sorta like the old tiny WC microcams although a bit less flimsy (first time I saw the smallest of those I honestly thought it was keychain toy - didn't help that it was adjacent to some tiny tricams that had been made into keychains).

Anyway I've placed it in a couple of spots where it tamed some previously spicy sections although honestly it's so small it's hard to feel like it's going to stop more than a foot slip. I kind of prefer it to the smallest C3s because of its floppyness being more forgiving on rope movement maybe tending to walk it but I think the C3s might feel a tad stronger - a purely subjective feeling not based on the strength ratings. Haven't fallen on it yet (and hope not to). As I wear out my old aliens (picked up some old unused ones on ebay over the past 5-10yrs) I'll probably go with dragonflies. I typically rack mastercams, regular totems, and supplement with CCH aliens and/or C4s. The MCs are kinda burly and maybe will stand up better to abuse but I don't think they stick as well in finicky placements or  have as much bite - pretty much how I feel about their relationship with the aliens.

Billcoe · · Portland · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 861

Lifes too short not to get the gear you want. As privileged Americans, we need to separate our NEEDS and out WANTS. Then fulfill both (needs and wants). So, based on the "privileged American theory", you should buy a full set of Dragonflys, if not 2.

Ryan Pfleger · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 20

I grabbed a set (green to blue) as I only had singles in some of those sizes, and nothing in the green Dragonfly size. I marginally prefer them to my X4s and Aliens, but I wouldn't rush out and buy them to replace something in that size. Only to fill a hole in my rack.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,605

A great climber can use any brand of cam.

Ryan Pfleger · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 20
Tradiban wrote: A great climber can use any brand of cam.

And an even greater climber can do without cams, or shoes, and fills his chalk bag with ice cubes.

Tradiban wrote: A great climber can use any brand of cam.

The words of an A+ #1 dbag.  Get yourself a coors and climb on!!

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,605

​Seriously though, the little differences between most cams makes no difference.​​​ Follow your psych!

John Butler · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5

The green is small :-)

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 12,235
Tradiban wrote:  Follow your psych!

HELL YEAH I alwasy do!!  What's a dragonflie?

Isac Fresquez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Bought a set and only kept the biggest one(purple similar to an orange metolius) and the two smallest ones(red and green) sold the other sizes after some sessions in eldo and some granite crags.

Pros and cons in my opinion
Pros: flexible,dmm built, extendable slings are nice (especially in eldo) fairly light, metal bites real well.

Cons: the action gets a bit gritty fairly quick, keep em clean and this isn't a problem. Durability, I get it they're a softer metal which helps em bite, BUT I took a couple falls on the purple one and gouged a decent chunk out of it and the thumb loop plastic cracked/cut and the sling abrasied noticeably. Said falls were at practice rock (bocan) on the 11b splitter (fairly rounded edges from what I recall) anywho I've whipped my brains out on totems and totem basics and they're still holding up way better. That being said I'd still recommend the two smallest ones. Hard to beat 6kn from a cam in those sizes. I can upload a pic of the cam if you're interested in seeing it.

I’m interested 
Sam X · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 30
John Butler wrote: The green is small :-)

Wow! First pic ive seen that really puts it in perspective. Kinda sketchy even.

Cool, I'll upload a pic to this thread when I get home from work

Said photos, I still climb with this cam and believe it's still pretty darn safe, but think its worth noting these cams may deform a bit easier then you'd like with minimal abuse. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "Passing on Dragonflies...mistake?"