Mountain Project Logo

Rock Climbing in Spain - INFO?

Original Post
Daniel McKay · · Toronto · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

Hi MP community..

I'm planning on traveling and climbing in Spain and eventually further north in Europe this winter/spring and wanted to see what information could be rounded up before going..

I've looked at Andalucia and Barcelona/Catalonia regions as they seem popular and have tons of climbing. Is it easy to find partners in these areas? Any specific accommodations or campgrounds that would make finding climbing partners easy? Are less popular areas difficult to find partners, or also worth visiting solo?

Any information from people who've been would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks

Jimmy Bricker · · Kennett Square, PA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 20

Check out Riglos. Wonderful small town and climber friendly. Several air bnbs where there are private rooms but the houses being shared with families that can provide meals. The town has one resturant/store for food and beer, a local pool that was closed (out of season) when i was there, and for day trips a castle nearby if you have a car.  

Oh yeah, the climbing is pretty ridiculous too. 

Brian · · North Kingstown, RI · Joined Sep 2001 · Points: 747

If you are there in the winter the place to go is El Chorro.  It is a huge destination for Europeans and you shouldn't have any problems finding climbing partners in the climbing camps/hostels.  I've been there every February for the past few years.  Places farther north like Riglos will be too cold in winter so you may want to go there in the Spring.

Jack Clinton · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0

Andalucia is great in the winter.  A lot of climbing around Jaen, Granada ( a lot within an hour of Granada), Murcia, Some around Cordoba.  There is Rock every where, all the way down to the coast.  Buy the Andalucia guide book and you'll see.  Partners will by hit or miss area by area.  The Spaniards are very welcoming and they seemed very willing to climb with just about anyone.

neils · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 30

if you want a guide, or climber hostel Toti Vales is absolutely awesome:

http://www.barcelonaclimb.com/

I did two days with him Montserrat 1 day and another day in the Pyrenees foothills.  He picked me up, we climbed, I spent two nights at his refugio with food provided, then he drove me to the airport.  Reasonable price, way experienced guide.

richard aiken · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 0

what grades are you looking to climb? For hard stuff, Rodellar and other northern Spain will have most but there is one crag in Andalucia where a female FA recently set a record. I don't know the name. EC is best in the 6s and low 7s (5.10s or so)

for winter, stay south. Anywhere central or northern/northeast Spain gets very cold, even snows, in winter. But late spring can be great there. tons of locations, thousands of climbs
EC is prob the easiest place to find partners (easiest place I have found for partners anywhere in Europe). We get 4000-5000 climbers per year + Spanish locals. Olive Branch is best. If full, try the Finca la Campana or Climbing Lodge
I found it impossible to find partners on two different visits at Siurana even though there is a campground right there. Margalef was a little easier but not easy. free camping along the river last time I was there a few years ago
Chulilla and other areas in eastern Andalucia have climbers hangouts.
In Spring, you can head to southern France (Buoux, Calanques, Verdon...) or Greece. not easy to find partners at any of them. Very spread out, no central hang out
Italy maybe better in late spring or early summer except Sicily and maybe Sardinia. Finale Ligure has a campground but I just went there last week and it is not what it used to be so I can't recommend it. Not many climbers anymore, compared to the numbers that used to go there. For the Dolomites and other northern Italy, wait for summer, even late summer in some years
Bohuslan in Sweden is great in July and August. Two campgrounds right in the center of the climbing. Lots of climbers, esp weekends. easy to meet people. only trad there

richard aiken wrote: what grades are you looking to climb? For hard stuff, Rodellar and other northern Spain will have most but there is one crag in Andalucia where a female FA recently set a record. I don't know the name. EC is best in the 6s and low 7s (5.10s or so)

for winter, stay south. Anywhere central or northern/northeast Spain gets very cold, even snows, in winter. But late spring can be great there. tons of locations, thousands of climbs
EC is prob the easiest place to find partners (easiest place I have found for partners anywhere in Europe). We get 4000-5000 climbers per year + Spanish locals. Olive Branch is best. If full, try the Finca la Campana or Climbing Lodge
I found it impossible to find partners on two different visits at Siurana even though there is a campground right there. Margalef was a little easier but not easy. free camping along the river last time I was there a few years ago
Chulilla and other areas in eastern Andalucia have climbers hangouts.
In Spring, you can head to southern France (Buoux, Calanques, Verdon...) or Greece. not easy to find partners at any of them. Very spread out, no central hang out
Italy maybe better in late spring or early summer except Sicily and maybe Sardinia. Finale Ligure has a campground but I just went there last week and it is not what it used to be so I can't recommend it. Not many climbers anymore, compared to the numbers that used to go there. For the Dolomites and other northern Italy, wait for summer, even late summer in some years
Bohuslan in Sweden is great in July and August. Two campgrounds right in the center of the climbing. Lots of climbers, esp weekends. easy to meet people. only trad there

Thanks a bunch for the info.. Sounds like El Chorro is undeniably the place to go in jan/feb for weather and partners. Thanks for the specific campgrounds/accommodations. UK is probably the furthest north i'd get but Sweden sounds cool! 

Awesome. Thanks for the information guys!

Aaron Gerry · · Boston, MA · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Richard, how is Costa Blanca/ Valencia area for finding partners?

richard aiken · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 0

Dunno. never climbed there. I just have heard that there are hangouts and that the climbing is good. I think the grades are generally higher there than here in EC

Ryan Williams · · London (sort of) · Joined May 2009 · Points: 1,265
Brian wrote: If you are there in the winter the place to go is El Chorro.  It is a huge destination for Europeans and you shouldn't have any problems finding climbing partners in the climbing camps/hostels.  I've been there every February for the past few years.  Places farther north like Riglos will be too cold in winter so you may want to go there in the Spring.

+1

I’ve been to El Chorro 4 times without partners and every time I get loads of climbing in. 
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Rock Climbing in Spain - INFO?"