Mountain Project Logo

Sport climbing around Salt Lake in the next few day..

Original Post
Steven Lamb · · West Des Moines, IA · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 60

Going to Maple Canyon and American Fork, any suggestions or favorite climbs 12a and under?

Car camping beta or cool things to do in the area would be a great bonus too

Also looking for a gear shop to get a new stick clip from if you could recommend one please. Thanks friends

Colin R · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

Salamander Flats for camping up in American Fork. Obviously there is a fee for recreating in AF canyon, but the camping is free at Salamander Flats. No need for 4-wheel drive either, if that's a concern. I car camp up there with my prius occasionally.  There's a pit toilet, a few fire pits if I recall correctly. Good views.

IME is an excellent shop a little north of AF.

I can't give you too much info about the Maple area. Good luck.

Ryan Rex · · the desert · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 56

Go to mountainworks in Provo. (It’s closer to af than ime too.) The owner has put up a ton of sport routes in AF and maple and all along the wasatch front. Names Darren. Wrote the guidebook for maple. Cool guy.

mnjsan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 659

Far from an expert but maple canyon has really beautiful camping.  One of the designated camping areas has a couple very good sport climbs right behind it.  One of the climb is below.  There’s bathrooms but no showers or water if memory serves me right.  However the  town is only 10 minutes away.

https://www.mountainproject.com/route/106129021/taking-the-bullet​​​

Steven Lamb · · West Des Moines, IA · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 60

Thanks everyone! Didn’t get the stick clip in time but we ended up in AF and Winds of Fire is an awesome route!

Shawn Adrian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2018 · Points: 101

You're going to have fun.  Maple Canyon should be beautiful this time of year.  Check out Tachycardia (5.7) in Maple for one of the best easy multipitch routes anywhere.

You might want to check out Rock Canyon too.  It's just a bit south of American Fork right in Provo.

Have fun, be safe.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Sport climbing around Salt Lake in the next few…"