Mountain Project Logo

We still have great weather in Idyllwild, Looking for Tahquitz, weekday climbers.

Original Post
James Robertson · · Idyllwild, Ca. · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0

I am looking to lead Angel's Fright  and need someone to come along.  I want to do as much climbing on Tahquitz as possible starting at the lower grades and move up.  I have a lot experience but have only did Suicide stuff this summer and didn't climb any for ten years before.that.  I did Angel's Fright last month and want to repeat it a couple of times and then start going through the grades.  I used to do Tahquitz a couple times a week and know how to be efficient and want to get to the point that these are half day climbs.   So if you are interested let me know.  This would be great for someone in the local area because I would like to do climbs twice a week.  

Jim (951) 310-0450

J Verg · · Idyllwild, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 75

Somebody climb with Jim. He’s a good partner and a good dude. Sadly my 9-5 is holding me up from climbing early morning- mid day. 

J Verg wrote: Somebody climb with Jim. He’s a good partner and a good dude. Sadly my 9-5 is holding me up from climbing early morning- mid day. 

Thanks James.

Today in Idyllwild it is 57 degrees and forecast to be 87 degrees with clear skies.

apogee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 0

87 degrees? That's too hot to climb. Holcomb sounds like a much better choice.

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,696

Tahquitz Rock itself is around 7,000 feet elevation where today’s forecasted high temperature is in the upper 60’s deg F.  Very nice.

NWS Pinpoint Forecast near Tahquitz Rock

Julie J. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 0

I wish I could Jim! 

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,545

On Tahquitz you could freeze in the shade and get heat stroke in the sun on the same day! Yay!

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,696

White long sleeve can dampen those swings. Or enough knowledge to avoid transitioning. :)

Jay Hanna · · Los Angeles CA · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

James
I’m totally game to get some laps in on White Maidens. I still get a little off route on that one. I’d love to get it dialed. This week is hectic but next week would be great.
Jay
Jayhanna@mac.com

Jay Hanna wrote: James
I’m totally game to get some laps in on White Maidens. I still get a little off route on that one. I’d love to get it dialed. This week is hectic but next week would be great.
Jay
Jayhanna@mac.com

Ya, I am up for it.  I have done it two times this month and finally got the route dialed.  Just let me know when you want to come up I am off almost all days.

Julie J. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 0

As of 6:30 a.m. the 74 pilot car is closed due to fog. FYI for those visiting. Be sure to check the Caltrans website for road conditions

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,545
Julie J. wrote: As of 6:30 a.m. the 74 pilot car is closed due to fog. FYI for those visiting. Be sure to check the Caltrans website for road conditions

Ha! Too cold to climb up here anyway.

apogee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 0
Tradiban wrote:

Ha! Too cold to climb up here anyway.

Yeah. Definitely. Holcomb is much better.

Tell a friend.
Rock Monkey · · Bonita · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 15

Anybody want to climb tomorrow? All my peeps are flaking out on me or busy with other crap.

x15x15 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 215

Annual glacier advancement has begun. Gate is locked. JTree season has begun. Or Red Rocks. Holcomb still good also...

Ross Watson III · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 15

Hey James, I'm available Friday and Saturday 11/12, in case you never found a partner and would like to go this weekend.

I have a small single rack....have been wanting to climb Tahquitz for a while.

-Ross
337 230 0781

Miguel Castorena · · Long Beach · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0
x15x15 wrote: Annual glacier advancement has begun. Gate is locked. JTree season has begun. Or Red Rocks. Holcomb still good also...

What do you mean by this? Is the parking area for tahquitz locked now? Closed off to climbing/hiking?

J Verg · · Idyllwild, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 75
Miguel Castorena wrote:

What do you mean by this? Is the parking area for tahquitz locked now? Closed off to climbing/hiking?

Completely. Holcomb is open though. 

Miguel Castorena · · Long Beach · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0
J Verg wrote:

Completely. Holcomb is open though. 

Ah damn!!! I was planning on going there sunday, when did they lock off the roads? This last week? Do you know what month they usually reopen Tahquitz?

Edit: The San Bernardino National Forest website says Humber Park is still open. Have they just not updated their website or what
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sbnf/recarea/?recid=26483
Wesley K · · Southern California · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 15

Cool surfer-like locals only mentality brahs!  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "We still have great weather in Idyllwild, Looki…"