Mountain Project Logo

BD Speed Zip 24 Backpack owners: is the rope strap in such an awkward position?

Original Post
Niccolo Gallio · · mainly Italy · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0

I like this backpack and I'm on the fence between this, the Osprey Mutant 22 and the BD Speed 22.
I read a review, though, that says that the Speed Zip 24's rope strap is positioned in such a way that positions the rope too close to your neck making rope carry uncomfortable.
That would be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks

George Foster · · Durango, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 12

The strap connects on both extremes of the front and back of the pack, allowing you to move it more to the aft.  If your helmet is under it it could force it there, but I find it's pretty easy to make comfortable if packed well.

George Foster wrote: The strap connects on both extremes of the front and back of the pack, allowing you to move it more to the aft.  If your helmet is under it it could force it there, but I find it's pretty easy to make comfortable if packed well.

Thanks, I thought that in the zip version the rope straps both exited close to the person's neck, I can't seem to find a slot for one of the straps to exit in the front from pictures

Xander Bremer · · San Francisco, CA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 35

I use the rope strap hooked to the haul strap on the back of the pack, looping the rope strap through it anchors the rope over the brain of the pack and away from my neck. I almost didn't get the pack for the same reason (presumably based on the same review). After using it once, I've determined the reviewer is a bit daft and lacks any sort of resourcefulness as it is an incredibly easy problem to solve. The reviewer gets 2/5 stars from me. :P ... [edit: speed zip 24]

1. Xander Bremer wrote: I use the rope strap hooked to the haul strap on the back of the pack, looping the rope strap through it anchors the rope over the brain of the pack and away from my neck. I almost didn't get the pack for the same reason (presumably based on the same review). After using it once, I've determined the reviewer is a bit daft and lacks any sort of resourcefulness as it is an incredibly easy problem to solve. The reviewer gets 2/5 stars from me. :P ... [edit: speed zip 24]

Sounds great. Do you like the pack?

Niccolo Gallio wrote:

Sounds great. Do you like the pack?

9/10, strong recommend.

Xander Bremer wrote: I use the rope strap hooked to the haul strap on the back of the pack, looping the rope strap through it anchors the rope over the brain of the pack and away from my neck. I almost didn't get the pack for the same reason (presumably based on the same review). After using it once, I've determined the reviewer is a bit daft and lacks any sort of resourcefulness as it is an incredibly easy problem to solve. The reviewer gets 2/5 stars from me. :P ... [edit: speed zip 24]

Sorry to bother you but would you mind posting a picture of the strap arrangement you describe?

thanks

When tightened, the haul strap is pulled up to the top of the brain, and the rope sits perfectly on top of the brain.
Xander Bremer wrote:

When tightened, the haul strap is pulled up to the top of the brain, and the rope sits perfectly on top of the brain.

Thanks a lot!

So the rope strap is long enough to be passed through the back haul loop and back. Genius!
Niccolo Gallio wrote:

Thanks a lot!

So the rope strap is long enough to be passed through the back haul loop and back. Genius!

No problem. Yeah, its plenty long. Good luck!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "BD Speed Zip 24 Backpack owners: is the rope st…"