Mountain Project Logo

City of rocks closures??

Original Post
Graeme Greenwood · · Richmond, CA · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Can someone give me some info on this? Was planning on being in the city all weekend but it being my first time, I dont know if the private land closures is a big deal or not.. thanks

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 15,749

Yes, they're a big deal.

Which closures are you curious about?

Graeme Greenwood · · Richmond, CA · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

On the MP page for city of rocks it says weather wall, yellow wall and all crags north of twin sisters are closed. How does this effect the overall experience of climbing here? I am debating whether or not to make the 5 hr drive from Bozeman. Thanks for your help, Brian

bernard wolfe · · birmingham, al · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 170

how come closed?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Graeme Greenwood wrote: On the MP page for city of rocks it says weather wall, yellow wall and all crags north of twin sisters are closed. How does this effect the overall experience of climbing here? I am debating whether or not to make the 5 hr drive from Bozeman. Thanks for your help, Brian

It doesn’t. 

Well....those locations are closed to climbing.  So, there is no experience climbing there specifically.

Or, do you mean just climbing at the City in general?  The closures for that area specifically is a very small area that's not part of the reserve anyhow.  Gobs of other crags, Shouldn't effect climbing at the City itself at all.

bernard wolfe wrote: how come closed?

Private land.  Landowner not happy with folks abusing it.  

Bares · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 5

As Brian and Marc said, this will not impact your trip.  Tons to climb in the areas that are not closed. 

Aaron S · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 35

It’s really maybe 5% of the total climbable area that is closed. There’s so much more between city and castle that you won’t miss that area at all. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "City of rocks closures??"