Mountain Project Logo

Make Route Finder offer Strict Filtering for Trad, Sport, Toprope

Original Post
Patrick Sherry · · Oakland, CA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 51

When using the Route Finder (filtering feature) for an area, the check boxes for Trad, Sport, and Toprope are inclusive filters, which results in Trad/Sport routes being listed when only Sport was checked. Ideally, the user should have an option for strict filtering on the website and the app. For example, strict filtering for Sport would show routes exclusively listed as sport, not some combination of Sport plus Trad and Toprope.

Evan Crumpecker · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 185

I feel like 'mixed' should be a valid entry option for trad/sport climbs, instead of letting the user specify a climb as trad/sport. It's confusing, how do I know if if they meant the route takes gear and bolts, or if the route could be lead purely on gear but is full on bolted?

Patrick Hardy · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 70

Hey guys - this filter is a reflection of how our database is set up. I agree that a "mixed" option would make more sense then including trad/sport when filtering for just trad or just sport. The issue I see is that it seems unlikely that many people are looking for mixed routes exclusively. If we filter them out from trad routes you may miss a quality splitter with a bit of face climbing on top, or for sport, a quality face climb with a short gear section.

Andrew Child · · Corvallis, Or · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 711

While we're talking about route filters, is there any way that aid can be added as an option?

Patrick Hardy · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 70

yep - that would be a pretty easy one for us to implement Andrew. Thanks for the suggestion.

Patrick Sherry · · Oakland, CA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 51
Patrick Hardy wrote: Hey guys - this filter is a reflection of how our database is set up. I agree that a "mixed" option would make more sense then including trad/sport when filtering for just trad or just sport. The issue I see is that it seems unlikely that many people are looking for mixed routes exclusively. If we filter them out from trad routes you may miss a quality splitter with a bit of face climbing on top, or for sport, a quality face climb with a short gear section.

Yes, a mixed category would partially solve the problem. I imagine the mixed category may require time and route admins' effort to re-categorize the route.

Other options to increase the utility of the filtering include making "strict filtering" an option in the UI of the Route Finder feature and making strict filtering apply only when sport is the only box checked.
Jon.R · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 8

Would be great to be able to search by number of pitches in the app too

Alex R · · Golden · Joined May 2015 · Points: 28

It seems like the root of the issue is the ambiguity of what "sport/trad" means. I noticed recently that this is no longer even an option when adding new routes, so this seems to be the solution that is being taken to address this root cause. I'm not sure if there is any plan to eventually work through the whole database and relabel all "sport/trad" routes as one or the other.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Make Route Finder offer Strict Filtering for Tr…"