Mountain Project Logo

Portaledge tweaking

Original Post
ali64 Holmes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 0

I have an old A5 double that looks like a warped piece of plywood when set up. Once I’m in the ledge it seems ok. Is there a micro adjustment that I’m missing to make it sit flat or dies it just require weight to straighten out?

Alec Sluser · · Concord CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 26

Unless the supporting tubes that create the ledge are bent, in which case it’s pretty obvious, it’s just the suspension straps.

Every ledge I’ve set up looks like a warped piece of plywood when it’s all put together but once I weight it and adjust it with the straps it straightens out. It wouldn’t hurt though examine the ledge tubes and seeing if some of them are bent. 

Quinn Hatfield · · Los Angeles · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

I’ve got a circa 1995 A5 Alpine Double with some bent tubes and it still hangs pretty decent.. I mean- all doubles do that Taco Twist thing, but the bent tubes don't seem to be making it a lot worse.

You want the bed tensioned pretty tight and evenly- which can be tough on the models that only tension on one side- do that move where you hook the short bar with your toes- knees on the long bars and pull like a Motherfücker on the adjusters 

2 more things that might help 
1) I got an upgraded suspension from Luke at Runout Customs.. this may not do anything if the issue is totally fixed by getting in the ledge- but it’s a huge help with adjusting the strap lengths especially when you’re on the ledge. The Cam. Buckles are way easier to use than the old plastic strap adjusters

2) my A5 seems to twist less now than it did 100yrs ago when it was new.. it’s way worn in at the corner joints.. years of having to use a hammer to get the bars in and out.. maybe that looser fit helps avoid the twist? Maybe rub a little candle wax on the joints? See if it helps 

ali64 Holmes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 0

Thank you.
I will try those tricks but it’s good to know that it sounds fairly common and normal. Taco twist was the descriptor I was looking for. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Big Wall and Aid Climbing
Post a Reply to "Portaledge tweaking"