Mountain Project Logo

Thin air - bee alert

Original Post
jackkelly00 · · Chocorua, NH · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 325

There is a nest of wasps/bees (~15+ bees) in the flakes on the 3rd pitch leading up tonthe chimney. The flakes are the ones used directly on the route. Stung numerous times. Climb safe. 

Sawyer W · · Van · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

5.6b

Ethan Brother · · Massachusetts · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 12

Just climb the face around it. You don’t get to place gear, but also you don’t get stung

Ethan Brother wrote: Just climb the face around it. You don’t get to place gear, but also you don’t get stung

I didn’t think of that while getting assaulted by the nest but not a bad idea

Rob Rogowicz · · Danville, NH · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 60

That nest comes with the route.

Ron Birk · · Boston, MA · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 3,530

There has been lots of warnings about this on the route description recently. Also tips how to avoid them. 

Climberdude wrote: Jackkelly00, you were stupid for not climbing around the nest.  There are plenty of face holds to the right and left of the flake.  Next time keep an open mind rather than being close minded and sticking to the topo.    Lesson learned for you I hope.  

Since the OP was only making a PSA, your hostility is just weird.

Ron Birk · · Boston, MA · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 3,530

Climberdude, take a chill pill. Why would you avoid an obvious flake on the route not knowing there are wasps.

Eli W · · New England · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5
Ethan Brother wrote: Just climb the face around it. You don’t get to place gear, but also you don’t get stung

The flake isn't that solid anyway.

Jonathan Brown · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Useful info:

Climberdude · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 0

Ron birk, I would avoid an obvious flake for two reasons.  Because bees like to nest behind flakes (I’ve seen it many times before), and because it’s fun to climb into the unknown like  the old school climbers originally did.

Lone Pine · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 0
Climberdude wrote: Ron birk, I would avoid an obvious flake for two reasons.  Because bees like to nest behind flakes (I’ve seen it many times before), and because it’s fun to climb into the unknown like  the old school climbers originally did.

Thank you for the advice. From now on, i’ll avoid just about any obvious flake when climbing trad

wonderwoman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 93
Ron Birk wrote: Climberdude, take a chill pill. Why would you avoid an obvious flake on the route not knowing there are wasps.

Climberdude must be an obvious flake.

Climberdude · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 0

Not only do a lot of flakes have bees nests behind them but they can also break off when cranking on them.  I avoid them at all costs.  Climbing is dangerous enough as it is.

Climberdude wrote: Not only do a lot of flakes have bees nests behind them but they can also break off when cranking on them.  I avoid them at all costs.  Climbing is dangerous enough as it is.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Climberdude wrote: Not only do a lot of flakes have bees nests behind them but they can also break off when cranking on them.  I avoid them at all costs.  Climbing is dangerous enough as it is.

JFC.

They're WASPS, not bees!
djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110

I think a wasp can sting you multiple times while bees can only sting once .

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,226
wonderwoman wrote:

Climberdude must be an obvious flake.

There’s certainly a lot of aggression nesting inside of him.

Keith Moon · · North Conway, NH · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 80

FYI-   I emptied an entire can of Wasp spray on it today.  The nest is very deep inside the flake so I could not pull it out.  This stirred up a lot of them but should help to eliminate the problem.  2 parties climbed the route after us and were able to climb the flake as normal with no issue.  

Jonathan Brown wrote: Useful info:

According to the chart provided by j brown, I stand corrected... definitely wasps.

Keith Moon wrote: FYI-   I emptied an entire can of Wasp spray on it today.  The nest is very deep inside the flake so I could not pull it out.  This stirred up a lot of them but should help to eliminate the problem.  2 parties climbed the route after us and were able to climb the flake as normal with no issue.  

I'm not an ethics freak but really?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Thin air - bee alert"