COVID-19 Update: At REI, we encourage you to get outside responsibly. Stay local, avoid recreational travel,
practice social distancing and check ahead for area and facility closures. Learn More
Mountain Project Logo

El Chorro Tips and Tricks

Original Post
JD N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

Heading to El Chorro, Spain, in mid October to explore the walls there! Any tips for traveling to El Chorro, getting around, how to spend free time, and any hidden gems to go explore? Visiting without a car (taking trains) and bringing all gear needed!

richard aiken · · El Chorro Spain · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 0
https://www.mountainproject.com/area/106822180/el-chorro

no car needed except for a few crags
stay at the Olive branch. train into the village or Alora and you can get picked  up
no hidden gems
bike, hike, swim....
Bernice Chiu · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 0

Hi, I'm heading there in there Oct 11-12 and looking for climbing partners. There's a few climbing hostals there like Olive Branch or Climbing lodge.
I'm staying at the climbing lodge and like Richard said training to Alora and getting picked up. 

Roger Hill · · London, GB · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 15

I second what's been said but with the qualification that October could still be hot for those sectors which don't need a car so if you need to get to those sectors which are in shade, ask around to see if anyone's driving.  Recommend Olive Branch.  One more little thing;  the food store in El Chorro is tiny so many people stock up in Alora to last a few days.   

Will Maness · · Ashland, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 50

I second what Richard said.  I stayed that Olive Branch and took the train to Alora.  Such a beautiful area, so much climbing within a relatively short walking distance!

richard aiken · · El Chorro Spain · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 0

RE: temps, I just flew back this morning and temps are in the lows 80s at peak which means almost all crags are climbable at comfortable temps for most of the day i.e. 70s. So, this year the climbing season will be long! Oct should be great temps.

Brian · · North Kingstown, RI · Joined Sep 2001 · Points: 747

I found this website to be very useful as a guidebook.  Even the newest RockFax guidebook isn't as up to date.
https://www.cartowall.com/en/crag/el-chorro/topos 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "El Chorro Tips and Tricks"