Mountain Project Logo

FS Old ice screws: Tell me what these are worth?

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
Max Murphy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0

Howdy all,
I was recently given a boat load of old climbing gear by my uncle, who purchased it all like twenty years ago for a trip to bolivia that never materialized. Some of it is awesome and I will use it, some of it I won't use.
Included in the bundle were these five ice screws: two seem to be steel, three are aluminum.
Literally no idea what these are worth. Ice screws are expensive, but these are old. No idea if they are treasures or relics.  
Also, I know next to nothing about ice climbing, so if there's some reason these are not safe, please let me know and I'll take this down!

mario molina · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0

The three aluminum screws are Lowe Alpine R.A.T.S( Ratcheting Aluminum Tube Screws)
The two steel are simply a steel version, though DMM and a company called NAM ( North American Mountaineering) made some very similar pieces
There should be something printed on the handles
Because ice screws have evolved to such a degree, these are leavers, so maybe 5 to 10$ each.

cdawg lion · · BeaUTAHfull · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 72

confirm (the above). maybe $10/ea for a high? could be good for someone just starting, but used modern screws are between 20-30 ea.

ClimbingOn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 0

Unlike some of the early vintage climbing gear that has significant collector appeal, older ice screws have very little market. The only early ice gear that is worth anything are Warthogs and of course vintage ice tools. The above posters are right on the mark. Post up some pics of the other older gear your Uncle gave you!

Max Murphy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0

Gotcha, thanks all! If someone wants to buy all five of these for 30$ shipped, let me know.
I may post other pics later when I have time! The gems were a pair of ascenders and some carbon ice tools called Black Prophets: a predescessor to the Cobra, so I gather.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.