Mountain Project Logo

I need to hire a climber

Original Post
Russell Roberts · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 0

Hello. My name is Russell. Hopefully this post is allowed here. I need to hire a climber to retrieve a drone for me at the Eaton canyon falls trail. It’s not a difficult climb at all. I was able to climb within 20’ of where the drone went down but the remaining climb is beyond my skill level.

If anyone knows of a climber in the Pasadena/Altadena area or someone willing to come this way please have them reach out to me. Obviously I will pay for the climb and retrieval. Thank you. 

Sean · · Oak Park, CA · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 2,622

or a canyoneer.  Eaton is a very popular canyon run.  takes about 8 hrs to hike up the back in morning and descend down the falls to the bottom big one.  if you go there mid afternoon or later, you might see people rappel down the bottom Eaton Falls from its top with rope, often in wetsuits and helmets, or see them with wet gear walking out.  some canyoneers do climb as well. if applicable, some could scramble above the drone from the side, rig an anchor, and rap down to retrieve it if safer that way

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 331
Ryan Williams · · London (sort of) · Joined May 2009 · Points: 1,265

Subscribed

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,545

Following.

jackkelly00 · · Chocorua, NH · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 325
Don Ferris III · · Eldorado Springs · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 175

I’ll do it for $1000 but you also have to cover round trip airfare. 

Sean · · Oak Park, CA · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 2,622

drones are not outlawed at Eaton.  Eaton Falls pretty much a zoo in the summer, esp on wknds.  not exactly pristine nature these days

climbers often post on MP looking for drone owners for vids of themselves climbing.  any play from moral high ground had long been torpedoed by climbing's own kind

Jens K. · · San Diego, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 185

Russell, somebody will pm you I’ll bet. Ignore the spray. 

Greg Miller · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 1,295
Jeff Luton · · Yosumite · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5

Haven’t you heard, climbers are all a bunch of dirtbags that don’t have jobs but live in sprinter vans? They also ain’t got time for that shit cause their crag dog is barking and they can’t hear their music on their Bluetooth speakers mannnnnnn

Jack Sparrow · · denver, co · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 1,515

Wow Jeffery your comment is so thoughtful and beautiful as well, bravo. Or mind your own business fuck your opinion and let this guy get his drone back. Flame on

Jens K. · · San Diego, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 185
Jeff Luton wrote: Haven’t you heard, climbers are all a bunch of dirtbags that don’t have jobs but live in sprinter vans? They also ain’t got time for that shit cause their crag dog is barking and they can’t hear their music on their Bluetooth speakers mannnnnnn

You forgot the never ending discussions of avocado toast, student loans, essential oils, poorly behaved crag dogs, yoga handstands (mostly done poorly), van rugs, & punting at anchors on red point due to having a helicopter parent through age 29 to cause a serious lack of mental fortitude. I climb (outclimb) with these folks daily. 

apogee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 0

^^^^^^
Yesssss. This.

And to the OP...thanks for the heads up on your drone. Now I know where to smash that feckin' thing to oblivion.

Charles O · · Oklahoma City · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

Heading there now to retrieve it. Also, anyone interested in a drone? How does one beer sound, OBO. Might be broken or missing a remote. 

phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 612

Russell, good luck getting your equipment back. I hope someone is around who can help you. While many people, myself included, who love the outdoors, dislike drones, there is no reason for people to be nasty to you. 

Hope for Movement · · USA, Europe · Joined Aug 2019 · Points: 0

A ball? If you can get within 20', maybe throw a ball (or brick) at it? Can you throw that far? I suggest you practice on the ground a few times. Bring lots of balls, you might miss a few times, and it is easier to have a lot of balls, than it is to climb up and down to retrieve you ball. Unless you have a dog. Do you have a dog? Can it climb?

Russell Roberts · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 0
apogee wrote: ^^^^^^
Yesssss. This.

And to the OP...thanks for the heads up on your drone. Now I know where to smash that feckin' thing to oblivion.

Winner! LMAO. I deserve the lashing. I get it. Especially since I just walked right into you guys/gals (whatever pro-noun is appropriate at this time) house with what is most certainly a douchebag request. And no introduction. Rude. My apologies. Again, I deserve the lashing.

I'm a former roadracer. Been a lurker and limited contributor on the WERA BBS for over 13 years(whoopty doo). I'm also a combat veteran. I have fairly thick skin for my age. 

I know a climber who is also a racer, that's how I found your forum. He suggested that someone here may be able to help me out. I appreciate the responses, all of them. 

To add a little fuel to this fire I'll give you the back story. I know, most of you probably dgaf, but I'm sharing because I have an even more elevated (see what I did there?) respect for climbers. Is that even the right word to use? Climber? Anyway, I lost control of the device at around 200' and it bee-lined straight into a tree at the top of a ridge. I looked to my left and to my right, I saw the looks on the faces of the sheeple around and I could immediately tell what they were thinking:'What's this jackass gonna do now?' Well, I ain't no sissy boy I told myself. And I set off to conquer that rock face holding my toy captive. I carefully scaled my way up the rock face. That S*&T was no joke. I guesstimate that I climbed up around 150' (was actually probably only around 50'  ). I reached a small ledge about 20' down from where the "feckin" thing crash landed. The climb was getting hairier. And I quickly realized that I was in way over my head and had exceeded ALL of my climbing talent. Not my best moment. So I took a break and decided to pan around from where I was to see if I could find a better(read: safer) path. At that time I looked down to the valley and I had an audience of about 30 people. I also realized that the audience was not in awe of my climbing skills, but rather my shear stupidity attempting to make that climb in 97 degree heat in shorts and a tank top. And zero skill. Most importantly, I looked down to see my wife and three daughters looking up to me with both disgust and embarrassment. I could see the look on my wife's face from where I was. Without words she was clearly saying to me, what kind of TOOL would make that climb with NO climbing experience for a $500 toy? After further assessment, I realized that this $500 toy was not worth the risk of my wife and kids watching me fall to my death over. Again, not my best moment. In my defense however, this is the same woman who spent over a decade at the racetrack with me, and had watched me endure several life altering injuries. One even when she was 8 months pregnant with our second child. I was a selfish bastard. I've since been healed of that. But I do obviously still have those flashes of brilliance as displayed this day. As such, I was not surprised to find that when I had climbed down, the wife was having a conversation with a stranger about the 'dumbass' who tried to climb after that 'toy', and that she had not claimed me. In fact she was quite embarrassed when I walked up to her and the stranger and said, "Ok, I'm done". She was about as embarrassed as the stranger was shocked that I was with her. She must have been giving me a good lashing based on the look he had on his face. 

After sharing this story with my climbing friend he suggested that I try my hand here for some assistance. Again, in retrospect, not my best moment. And I deserve whatever flaming I receive.

I will close with this. I have often envied climbers. It takes serious stones to race a motorcycle at speed with others trying to occupy the same pavement that I am. But those stones are pebbles compared to the stones required to make the climbs that many of you do. I realize that first hand now. And my climb wasn't even really a 'climb'. You people must have to wheel your stones around in a wheel barrow. The biggest unfortunate residual takeaway from all of this is that I think I may be hooked. That climb, in all of it's stupidity was AMAZING! I've spent the past two days looking at climbing equipment on offer up and local climbing gyms where I can actually get some coaching and learn the proper way to climb. If all goes well, after the divorce maybe I'll see some of you on a rock somewhere. That is of course, if I do not get banished from the community for my douchiness. A local climber did reach out to me with an offer to help. If he finds me worthy, maybe I'll pick up some guidance and be on my way to my own set of large stones. 
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

Nice post with lots of humility, Russell. Hope you are able to get into climbing and enjoy it as much as we do.

It may be worth losing your drone, but learning to climb!

Mike Kaserman · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 0

You rock, Russell.  I hope you get your drone back (Which is not a sentence I ever expected to express to anyone). And keep your wife.

Jack Sparrow · · denver, co · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 1,515

Get your drone back Russell I'd help u out if I was out there. Ignore the douchebag s as climbing gets more popular they infiltrate our sport as well. Good luck

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "I need to hire a climber"