Mountain Project Logo

East end of rundle - guides route vs retrobate

Original Post
petzl logic · · Montreal, QC · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 0

hi,

either of these routes will probably be the longest multipitch i’ve ever done. can anyone compare the quality? i have one day in bow valley and have an old guidebook but it doesn’t seem clear on how to get down.

how long does the walk off take? is it more of a technical hike or will adventure sandals be fine?
it seems like a ten - twelve hour day is possible for the guides route so i am hoping to plan accordingly.

thanks!

FosterK · · Edmonton, AB · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 60

You will probably get more replies on the Bow Valley Climber's Community Facebook group. There are not a lot of Bow Valley locals here who have been on both routes. The walk-off of EEOR includes some scrambling and slabs, and the walk up will include some screen bashing: a closed toe hiking or approach shoe is probably best. The walk-off should not take very long if you find the path and follow the beta.

This Banff Rock PDF has a good description of the EEOR walk off and both route's you mentioned.

Edit: Also, please note that there has been a series of bolting chopping and thefts of fixed gear the community is trying to deal with and some routes are EEOR may have been impacted. It'd be worth bringing a couple extra hangers and nuts if you don't check with a recent climber on these routes.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "East end of rundle - guides route vs retrobate"