Mountain Project Logo

Winter is coming....What leggings do you wear?

Original Post
June H · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 40

I’ve tried a variety of leggings, from tight underarmour and nike tights intended for activities like running and football, but they’re so uncomfortable after several hours, are bulky, and synthetic (so they smell after more than a day of moderate use). I’ve also tried smartwool and icebreaker leggings, but after extended wear (a long day, or multiple days), my skin begins to react to the wool. I’ve tried some of the lower end patagonia leggings too but they’re either uncomfortable or just don’t keep my warm enough.

Ideally i’d like something for cooler days but can also be worn in the city on snowy days; something that can be worn under other layers, and are comfortable enough to be worn for multi-day adventures.

What do you guys recommend?

B Jolley · · Utah · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 172
Hot Chillys is a good synthetic choice for layering.
rkrum · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 61

Lululemon. Not kidding.

Andy Novak · · Bailey, CO · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 370

I recommend men do not wear leggings.  

rkrum · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 61

Cool do you also recommend men freeze their ass off?

Ben Ha · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

I've always used Uniqlo heattech leggings :) Cheap and warm !

justgoodenough · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 41

I've been using the same columbia long underwear for the last 5 years, for climbing, camping, and skiing. They've held up well but have always been worn under pants or a rainshell.

If you're having trouble with smell on synthetics, add a cup of vinegar to the laundry detergent in your washing machine.

Joe Prescott · · Berlin Germany · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 6

Cycling tights are awesome! The ones without chamois obviously. I’ve got some Pearl Izumi leggings that I’ve had for maybe 12 years and are finally wearing out. Running, climbing, commuting, mountain stuff. 

Matthew Bertolatus · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 90
Joe Prescott wrote: Cycling tights are awesome! The ones without chamois obviously. I’ve got some Pearl Izumi leggings that I’ve had for maybe 12 years and are finally wearing out. Running, climbing, commuting, mountain stuff. 

Echo this - the ones below have kept my warm biking in single degree temps:

REI Co-op Cycle Tights​​​
Roots · · Wherever I am · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20
Andy Novak wrote: I recommend men do not wear leggings.  

+1

Roots · · Wherever I am · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20
rkrum wrote: Cool do you also recommend men freeze their ass off?

Nope...wear pants like a man. Ok to have thermals layered underneath of course...

Russ B · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 42
  • Cheap thin tights are usually comfy, I have a few pairs of Magellan lightweight thermals/leggings/tights that I like more than the marmot and Patagonia ones in the collection. Ill double up with cap 4 grid fleece if it's really cold. It's enough for Dawn patrol in storms here with softshell pants, and I've always been too hot in my hardshell pants with that combo, but I need to get some that zip this year.

Also, get off your #manlymen comments, no one here is male and asking about tights as an outer layer in the winter kiddos. Your trolling skills are embarrassing.
Genie Genie · · In A Bottle · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Uniqlo are pretty good.

Textile manufacturer is also legit quality manufacturer.

Quality, cheap, it's a win win 

Andy Novak · · Bailey, CO · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 370
Will Haden · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 90
Joe Prescott wrote: Cycling tights are awesome! The ones without chamois obviously. I’ve got some Pearl Izumi leggings that I’ve had for maybe 12 years and are finally wearing out. Running, climbing, commuting, mountain stuff. 

Another +1 here. I have a pair of Specialized thermal tights that I have also had for upwards of 10 years. They work great under my regular Prana Zions. 

Paul Deger · · Colorado · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 36

I go to the gym if too cold for pants.

June H · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 40

Hm. Interesting. Will have to give these a try.

Linnaeus · · ID · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0

So, are you looking for leggings in the traditional sense where they are form fitting tight and meant to be worn alone, like cycling tights? Or are you looking for thermal base layer options to be worn under pants, softshells, etc. For the latter, there are a lot of excellent options. R1 weight are available inexpensively for maximum warmth as military surplus (check ebay). Polartec powerstretch is very comfortable, warm, stretchy and breathable (and an underrated fabric now that grid fleece has become ubiquitous), both Ragged Mountain and Rab makes some with this fabric. The Ragged Mountains look like they could do double duty as a base layer or be worn independently.

https://raggedmountain.com/ragged-mountain-polartec-power-stretch-pro-tights-4582

phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,102

Albert, technically, Fall is coming. It’s still Summer and in the 90s here in southern California. But I used to live in San Francisco so I can understand your wanting to get a jump on this issue. 

Redyns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 60

vasoline

Eric G · · Cary, NC · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 5

Flannel lined jeans. Cuffed.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Winter is coming....What leggings do you wear?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started