Mountain Project Logo

31st Annual Tollhouse Face-Off Climbing Festival, October 11-13, 2019

Original Post
Mark Fletcher · · Clovis, CA · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 11

Meet your friends and make new friends at the annual kick off to the winter climbing season at Tollhouse Rock above Tollhouse (east of Fresno and Clovis).

For directions, see Tollhouse Rock section, Southern Yosemite Area here in Mountain Project or Dwight Kroll's and Tom Slater's A Climber's Guide To Tollhouse Rock.

* Co-sponsored by Fresno Area Climbing Stewards
* Top ropes on some routes
* Rappel route to the base, but can also walk to base
* Raffle at about 5 pm on Saturday, October 12 to benefit American Safe Climbing Association (ASCA)
* Evening stories and tall tales
* Night climbing under a full moon
* Event T-shirts and area guidebooks available for sale
* Free camping at Cap Rock at top of Tollhouse Rock (bring water and food, 0.3-0.4 mile hike uphill from parking unless you have a high-clearance, low-gearing, four wheel drive - do not get your vehicle stuck if you do not have this).
* No fires except for propane stoves with Forest Service fire permit (available at Sierra National Forest office at Prather on your way to Tollhouse Rock)
* In the event of wet weather, raffle and other activities will take place on Saturday at junction of Tollhouse Road & Borrough Mountain Road

Raffle prizes by Fixe Hardware, Barry's Resoles, Dwight Kroll/K. Daniels Publishing, and other fine businesses and climbers.

Brad Young · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 380

Mark,

Is this a one day event (Saturday, October 12), or, with the night and camping things, does it go into Sunday too?

I'll take my answer online please ;)

Brad,

Good question, the event goes from Friday afternoon until late Sunday afternoon.  Yes, there is camping at the top of the formation.  If camping, bring your own water since it is a dry camping area.  People are welcome to camp around the area, which is Forest Service land.  Only propane stoves will be allowed with a Forest Service fire permit, which is available at any Forest Service office.  However, if someone could only come for one day, then Saturday would be best since that is when the raffle event will be held.

Mark

Jeremy R · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 25

Wow, the last one I went to was 16th annual! 

I want to thank everyone that came to the Face-off.  I hope everyone had a great time and got some great swag.  We raised $1305 for the American Safe Climbing Association.  Special thanks to those who helped set-up and take down.  If you were camping or in the camping kitchen area and left some items, please send me a message of what you are missing.  I will see if I can connect the items to their owners otherwise they will be included in next year's raffle.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "31st Annual Tollhouse Face-Off Climbing Festiva…"