Mountain Project Logo

Finding Mantle Problems in my area (Colorado Front Range)

Original Post
John RB · · Superior, CO · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 71

James Lucas was recently on the Training Beta Podcast (trainingbeta.com/media/jame…) talking about how he trained for Midnight Lightning in Yosemite.  He said it had a V4/V5 mantle on it and he wanted to train mantles but there weren't too many around the Front Range.  

I'm interested in training mantles around here.  Is there a way to search for mantle problems that are in the V2/V4 range?  Or can someone offer a list of the top of her head?

Malcolm Daly · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 380

There's no better place to commit to a mantle than the Mental Block at Horsetooth Reservoir.

Mental Mantles​​​

Regardless of how many pads you have you still need a posse of good attentive spotters.

J Achey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 150

Mantel - as in the thing over fireplaces - as opposed to mantle, a shawl-like garment. As Malcolm says, the Mental Block at Horsetooth, although that is pretty fierce "practice." On Flagstaff: Crystal Mantel on the Pebble Wall is right off the ground; One-Arm Rocks' Ament mantels and Pratt's Mantel nearby. Hell, dead-hang from your kitchen table and press it out!  

MC Findley · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 10

Related to this, I'd be interested in working the Crystal Mantel on Flagstaff with others.  I'd also be interested in stealing beta from someone that has it wired.  

It has completely confounded me.

Andrew V · · Denver CO · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

There are also a few in Three Sisters. Look at the Pachyderm Boulder and The Scoop, but The Mental Block in Rotary park is your best bet.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "Finding Mantle Problems in my area (Colorado Fr…"