Mountain Project Logo

Potrero Chico this winter

Original Post
Madeleine Gardner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

Hey everyone, planning on attending Potrero season this year. I have a couple questions, How easy is it to find work for the winter seaso?
And is it a reasonable idea to bring my two large dogs with me? My concern is where they could be kept during long days on the wall. Cragging they are cool to hang at the base. Has anyone had many problems bringing their dogs with the amount of ownerless pups? 

Mark Frumkin · · Bishop, CA · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 11

I have no idea about a job, but the dogs. Try contacting Fiona Animal Refuge @ WWW.POTREROPUPS.ORG. They are across the street from La Posada. 

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 331

Needing a job and needing a dog sitter does sound like some frustrating logistical problems to deal with in Mexico.I think your best bet for work is at La Posada, or another gringo hangout (coffee shop still there?) - unless you want to set up y.a. gypsy cab service, or sell food at the entrance (which may not be cool with the locals). A lot of the fun climbing is multipitch, so I don't know if cragging for days on end is what you'll really want to do, unless your set on really working the Outrage Wall. Those to-be-rescued dogs sometimes do wander into the park, which could cause some dramz, even if your pups are angelic (which I am assuming they're nothing but).

Madeleine Gardner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

how ideal/ possible would it be to rent a cheap room to be able to keep them crated in during multi pitch days? 

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 331

There's def. AirBnB's to be had in Potrero - even conveniently up-canyon. If you get a good crew together, it can be pretty cost-effective. Are you planning to stay weeks or months out there? (sounds like "months" to me)

kumquat floridabird · · da swamp · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

I recommend joining & consulting the Potrero Chico Climbing group on Facebook. There are plenty of locals, guidebook authors, and Potrero veterans in it that can give you better answers. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Potrero Chico this winter"