Mountain Project Logo

Cochamo Valle Info

Original Post
zach cook · · Boise, ID · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 200

Im heading to Cochamo Valley next January for the first time. I am looking for any lodging info for the area. Ive checked online and found many at the mouth of the vallley and one near the center of the valley, cochamo refugio la junta, but contact and pricing info has been pretty hard to find let alone trying to reserve a spot. If anyone has some knowledge on this Id be psyched to hear it.
Many Thanks!

John L · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 175

Hi Zach. The resource I used was cochamo.com/category/climbing/

I emailed to reserve a campsite ahead of time and that was pretty straight forward to pay via paypal on the site. You can camp at the main campground in the valley where you access climbs most of the climbs, in addition to some bivy sites at the base of actual walls. There is a refugio where you can stay but it was more expensive and busier. I think the reservation menu may open eventually but is currently closed since it's not in season (on the website I linked). The pricing I remember being affordable, maybe $10/night? 

The town of Cochamo has some lodging but I can't recall the specifics. I ended up staying in Puerto Montt, taking a bus to get to the town of Cochamo, hitching a ride to get to the trailhead to get to the valley, and hiking up to the main valley all in one day. I stayed in Puerto Montt because my spanish sucks and it was easier to get groceries, etc. there. 

Thanks John! Thats super helpful! Do you recall the pricing at the refugio and is it the same process for reserving as the campsites?
Well be there in the first two weeks of January, seems like decent weather but well see. When did you go and did weather hold out for you?

Also did you get packed in with horses?

The pricing at the refugio was more than the camping - maybe double? There aren't a lot of rooms in the refugio. The process to reserve a refugio was the same as the campsites.

I went December 18-28 or something like that. I was able to climb maybe 3 days? A total of 5 possible climbing days. The weather is better for your time period but the tabanos are out in full swing by then I believe.

I got packed in with horses. It was maybe $20 to have them haul your stuff one way. Really worth it. I had enough food for myself for 10 days and didn't need to resupply. The refugio makes exceptional food. They have a wood-fired oven so they make really good pizza and their bread was amazing. Somewhat pricey but I got tired of eating lentils and rice every day. I would recommend trying to go up for NYE there. I was there for Christmas which was great, but NYE they're supposed to have fresh meat (goat maybe?). I can't recall what animal but I had some in punta arenas and it was really good. It's got a specific name as it is a patagonian dish, I think.

I should add I went in Dec 2014 so maybe some things changed!

Awesome thanks man!

No problem. Have fun - if your spanish is good I would recommend day hiking east out of Cochamo Valle towards Argentina. A friend I made did that and said it was a really cool experience - met some really nice locals and got to experience some areas that were less travelled and less busy. You can get a hiking map of the area in Puerto Montt, or on the Cochamo.com website I believe. There are some really awesome day hikes (for rainy days) from the Cochamo Valle proper also. Do anything you can to stay as long as you can. It will be a memorable and unique experience. 

rpc · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 580

Would be curious to hear if you were able to get in touch with those guys.  I remember that they were pretty responsive back when we were organizing our trip.  We were there for about 2 weeks in Jan. of 2015 & had similar experience to what John describes (3 good weather days followed by 2 or 3 rainy days).   The itch to go back has been growing stronger.  I remember that the pizza at the refugio was killer.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Cochamo Valle Info"