Mountain Project Logo

Amsterdam gym and travel buddies??

Original Post
Jason Jacobi · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Hi. I'll be living in Amsterdam for the next 6-9 months and am looking for some people that like to climb around Europe. I think I'll have most weekends to myself, but will be working most weekdays.

Anyway, advice on a gym in the Amsterdam area would be appreciated as well. 

Donny Midasoni · · Bristol, South West England. · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

Theres a gym near Sloterdijk station, but absolutely no climbing in the country as far as I'm aware, flattest country on Earth. Unlucky Bro.

Jason Jacobi · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0
Donny Midasoni wrote: Theres a gym near Sloterdijk station, but absolutely no climbing in the country as far as I'm aware, flattest country on Earth. Unlucky Bro.

Yeah I knew that moving here. Was hoping to connect with some people that venture out on the weekends to pull on some rock outside. 

I'll check out the gym near the station, cheers. 
Josh Rappoport · · Somerville, MA · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 26

Klimmuur Amsterdam Centraal, Dijksgracht 2, 1019 BS Amsterdam, Netherlands
Good and centrally located. Small bouldering area. No auto belays

Klimhal Amsterdam B.V., Naritaweg 48, 1043 BZ Amsterdam, Netherlands
Bigger gym with auto belays and lots of different types of lead and TR on three levels

Closest place with good outdoor climbing is here about three hours away, but totally worth the trip for a camping weekend etc.
Rochers de Freyr
Chaussée des Alpinistes 16, 5500 Dinant, Belgium

Halbert · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 287

Go climbing in one of the gyms and you'll find some buddies to go outdoors with soon enough. Freyr and Bergdorf are very popular for weekend trips. If you like bouldering Fontainebleau is about 6/7 hours driving.
Living in Amsterdam you'll have easy access to the Alps, 1,5 hours flying to Zürich from Schiphol. Consider yourself lucky and enjoy your climbing life in Amsterdam

Joe Virtanen · · Asheville, NC · Joined May 2010 · Points: 241

I've been to Monk and that place was excellent for bouldering.

Daniel Joder · · Barcelona, ES · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

What about that famous Excalibur spire thingie? Looks pretty cool. Granted, not real rock but it just begs to be climbed...!

Halbert · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 287

Excalibur is at Bjoeks Groningen. Quite far from Amsterdam for gym climbing.
Also it's quite an artificial experience, it moves in the wind etcetera.. looks cool though.

Al Pine · · The 'yack, NY · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Monk... the one in Eindhoven even had a bar. They've moved since, so not sure about the bar anymore. Great setting though!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Amsterdam gym and travel buddies??"