Mountain Project Logo

What Needles Offwidth Climb is This?

Original Post
Darshan Ahluwalia · · Petaluma, CA · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 925

What is the name of this climb?

Felt like 10a. It arrives at the Davey Jones Locker rap station and belay ledge. Just to the left of the regular 5.7 gully/chimney approach pitch for Davey Jones Locker.

Photos by AJ (Andrew Burch)
Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 662

5.9 With the big Chalkstone in it

Cole D · · Los Angeles · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 15

Looks incredible!

The only thing the guide book mentions next to Davy jone’s is Iron Maiden and Devils Dinette. Neither of those routes descriptions look to match these photos.

Darshan Ahluwalia · · Petaluma, CA · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 925

Well, I posted it up here: mountainproject.com/route/1…

Hope to find out the name and some more info on this stellar line! It has certainly been climbed before!

Kristian Solem · · Monrovia, CA · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 375

Lord only knows how I could have walked by that feature so many times and not taken notice. Of course I've never been drawn toward the wide, so that must be it   

I photographed every page of the various old annotated guidebooks Margee kept up in the tower, a good move on my part since they're all ashes now. There are markups all over the pages showing that crack and the routes above, with no indications of a route name, grade, or any other info. It's just in the pics without any comments. It looks like a much better way to approach Davy Jones etc., than the normal way. So now is Davy Jones a two pitch climb?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "What Needles Offwidth Climb is This?"