Mountain Project Logo

New Doar Ascenders

Original Post
David K · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 145

I am setting up a rope-walking system and when looking at ascenders, I came across NewDoar. I've never heard of them, they seem to sell mostly on Amazon, and their prices are suspiciously cheap--entire ascender kits are cheaper than an ascender from other companies. But if they're the real deal it's a good deal, and I'm more willing to take a risk because in this case the ascenders won't be used for a safety-critical application. Does anyone have any experience with this company and/or their ascenders?

NegativeK · · Nevada · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40

UIAA does not know about them. https://safety.theuiaa.org/front/front_search_certified_labels.php

I know you're saying it's not safety critical (even though I don't understand,) but the UIAA search is a basic smell test for me as to whether someone's shittyshady.

NegativeK wrote: UIAA does not know about them. https://safety.theuiaa.org/front/front_search_certified_labels.php

Hmm, yeah, that's concerning.

I had no idea there was such an easy way to look that up. They claim their ascenders are certified under CE EN 363:2008, is there a search for that?

I know you're saying it's not safety critical (even though I don't understand,)

With my rope walking setup I'd be using the foot and knee ascenders to ascend the rope, but when not ascending my weight would be resting on a progress capture device at my waist (which I already have). The progress capture device is a Micro Traxion, which I've fallen on during top rope solo a lot, so I trust it.

Chris Blatchley · · Somerville, MA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 7

eh, it's just for the rope walking as you say, so i don't see a problem. your real device is trusted, so i'd be personally fine with that. i don't know if the convenience of rope walking for ascension is worth $70 though ;) but i already own jugs and ladders.

Chris Blatchley wrote: i don't know if the convenience of rope walking for ascension is worth $70 though ;) but i already own jugs and ladders.

Yeah, I don't have jugs and ladders! So I've tried out a few other people's systems and am going with the system I like the best for what I'm trying to do.

Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 662

SUT Chinese junk. No thanks.

levi Goldman · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 45

Just checked out the site. The poor language and verbiage is a red flag, just wait for a sale or buy genuine brands secondhand. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "New Doar Ascenders"