Mountain Project Logo

Starting a climbing club

Original Post
Seth Bleazard · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 395

My town is getting it’s first gym and I was thinking about starting a youth climbing club. No one youth here currently climb so I was wondering how I could get them into it and keep them that way. I was thinking gym meetings twice a week and outdoor climbing once a month if possible. Any suggestions?

Matthew Campbell · · Redondo Beach, CA · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0
Seth Bleazard wrote: My town is getting it’s first gym and I was thinking about starting a youth climbing club. No one youth here currently climb so I was wondering how I could get them into it and keep them that way. I was thinking gym meetings twice a week and outdoor climbing once a month if possible. Any suggestions?

Outings to other gyms could be fun, too. Especially if you can connect with their youth clubs.

Events that combine music or movies with climbing were always a hot when I was younger.

Are there any youth-focused martial arts guilds or dojos in your area? They might have ideas, or even be willing to cross-pollinate a bit.
Matthew Campbell · · Redondo Beach, CA · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0
Jake Jones wrote: Everything is hotter when you’re younger.

Ha! Meant to type "hit", but it kind of worked out.

Seth Bleazard · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 395

Any other suggestions?

Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880
Seth Bleazard wrote: Any other suggestions?

Big sign out front that says Free Hugs.

Malcolm Daly · · Hailey, ID · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 380

Overnights at the club with portaledges, zip lines, fixed lines for jumaring and rappelling. The kids will never forget it.

Beth Walter · · Chicago · Joined Aug 2019 · Points: 0

That is, you want to understand in advance whether a climbing club for children will be in demand?

Perhaps it makes sense to conduct a survey among visitors to the gym, tell you which groups you would create for climbing training. And if there is an opportunity, to conduct an open lesson so that those who want to try themselves in climbing (but at this stage probably there are problems with equipment for a large number of people).

Daniel Coltrane · · Seattle, WA · Joined May 2010 · Points: 486

Most gyms have their own youth climbing programs. 

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Recruit at highschools. Highschool bouldering team changed my life and set me on this forever path of climbing. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Starting a climbing club"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started