Mountain Project Logo

LCC is going to be closed for a while.

Original Post
Jonathan Brown · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

I don't know how far up the canyon it is, but I suspect they've shut it down at the mouth.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46613810/little-cottonwood-canyon-us-highway-6-remain-closed-due-to-debris-slides-after-flooding

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

The major slide is at Lisa Falls. There's another up canyon, possible road undermining, and an exposed gas line.

So what's the easiest alternate way to get in to the canyon now?  Because having that whole canyon to yourself would be mind blowing.

bheller · · SL UT · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 1,083

We need rocks the size of small houses, not small cars! Damn!

Big B · · Sin City, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1

Up and over guardsmen...

Big B wrote: Up and over guardsmen...

...does nothing to get you into LCC.

That's Big Cottonwood.  Is there a road north of Tibble fork that would be better access?

Boissal . · · Small Lake, UT · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 1,521
Big B wrote: Up and over guardsmen...

Then up and over Catherine's. On foot. 

Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 9,217

I hear there's a good heli-climbing outfit in town...

It's a slow day at work - and I want to go play, so I'm dwelling on this a lot more than I should, but I think I found a way to get close enough that a bike would be possible.

40.549767, -111.639437

I didn't see any gates before this one.

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 16,685
Jonathan Brown wrote: It's a slow day at work - and I want to go play, so I'm dwelling on this a lot more than I should, but I think I found a way to get close enough that a bike would be possible.

40.549767, -111.639437

Naw.  Take you longer to get up the road than just going to BCC and popping over the ridge.  Twin Lakes Pass or Catherines.

At least for the routes on the DC or Hellgate areas.
sclair · · SLC, Ut · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 30

Saw some footage on instagram, seems they're letting some people through that were interlodged. They cleared a path a bit wider than an SUV ... yikes.

Also curious - Has there been any reported rockfall in BCC or LCC this year due to such wet conditions?

Jonathan Brown wrote: It's a slow day at work - and I want to go play, so I'm dwelling on this a lot more than I should, but I think I found a way to get close enough that a bike would be possible.

40.549767, -111.639437

According to Google, those coords put you on the Bookends Traverse at Snowbird, on the Mineral Basin side of the ridge separating it from Mary Ellen Gulch and well above the MB service road from AF Canyon. From there you'd still need to go over Snowbird (Hidden Peak) to get to LCC.

From UDOT on Twitter:

Utah DOT
@UtahDOT

According to our crews, there were nine slide areas in Little Cottonwood Canyon overnight. The biggest (that they are still clearing) was about 100 yards long, and ranged from 2 to 15 feet deep, with mud, trees, rocks, and car-sized boulders.

Utah DOT
@UtahDOT

Little Cottonwood Canyon will be open to uphill traffic from 5-5:30pm, and downhill traffic from 5:30-6pm. The canyon will close again at 6 pm so our crews can continue to clean up the massive debris.

Marc801 C wrote:

According to Google, those coords put you on the Bookends Traverse at Snowbird, on the Mineral Basin side of the ridge separating it from Mary Ellen Gulch and well above the MB service road from AF Canyon. From there you'd still need to go over Snowbird (Hidden Peak) to get to LCC.

Yep  

And then...go back that way?  Yikes.

Must be hella debris up there...

With the juicy winter and wet spring, I haven't noticed much loose rock, but, noticeable is how nice and non gravely some of the trails are.
Max-Hinderk Schuler · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Does anyone know if any of the bouldering areas were impacted?

James Buehler · · Park City, UT · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 202
sclair wrote: Saw some footage on instagram, seems they're letting some people through that were interlodged. They cleared a path a bit wider than an SUV ... yikes.

Also curious - Has there been any reported rockfall in BCC or LCC this year due to such wet conditions?

Tons of rock fall this spring with all the snow/moisture we had..  The new boulder in the gate parking lot and another car sized boulder fell onto the trail to the black peeler.  I climbed the thumb early this spring and the whole walk off gully was moving.. pretty scary watching a refrigerator sized rock tumble down that gully, luckily it was 10pm and no one else was around..   

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,188

Road is open ...

M Mobes · · ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 910

August rockslides is strange, wonder what caused it. A goat?

m Mobes wrote: August rockslides is strange, wonder what caused it. A goat?

Intense rain

Big winter.  Super wet May.  And, in the last few weeks, a gob of rain in the canyon.

Ground is super saturated.  Creeks that have usually long dried up are still running.

That's some crazy debris...volume of material that moved is amazing.

Still several active creeks flowing over the road.  Culverts buried in deep debris.  Be awhile until they clear those out!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "LCC is going to be closed for a while."