Mountain Project Logo

Helicopter in the Cirque

Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
kemple sr. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 95

We dragged our old butts up to the Cirque on Mon only to see a chopper land.
We thought perhaps a rescue but no, they were just going climbing.

Turns out there was an injured climber waiting for help while the thing was just sitting there!

When a rescue copter came they photographed the numbers so owner could be seriously busted.

I was trying to figure out why I was so pissed. Was it because I had spent the entire day humping a load in, or what. Because I have choppered into a climb. But it was legal there.

Finally decided it was the arrogance that got me. We have all said that this or that rule doesn't apply to me.  But this one crossed the line. Esp with a climber injured and in pain.

Greg Gavin · · SLC, UT · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 781

Tell em!

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

That. Is freaking amazing. Getting choppered in to the cirque?? Wow next level privilege. I thought buying a patagonia trucker hat cemented me as elite, but this is a whole new level!

Not sure if its worth getting pissed about though. At the end of the day, who cares?

Dan Cooksey · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

Yea. Lol if you have a private chopper to take you climbing you likely don’t think the rules, any of them, anywhere, apply to you. 

Carolina · · Front Range NC · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 70

I herd on instaface it was Don Jr.

Cron · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 55

No way in hell getting flown into the cirque counts as a send in my book. That's some aid climbing.

What's the story with the injured climber?

Malcolm Daly · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 380

Please excuse my ignorance but which cirque are we talking about?

Hayden Moore · · Dallas, TX · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 15
Malcolm Daly wrote: Please excuse my ignorance but which cirque are we talking about?

Du Soleil

Derek DeBruin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 585
Malcolm Daly wrote: Please excuse my ignorance but which cirque are we talking about?

Based on the forum region, I'm guessing Lone Peak Cirque, near Salt Lake City. 6k vert hiking for about 500ft of awesome granite, federal wilderness area inside the national forest. 

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 15,699

I don't believe a private helicopter can legally land in the cirque.  Its wilderness.  When powderbirds access that area, they drop on the FS side of the boundary, way up on the ridgeline.

There's a note on a hiking website that folks saw a helicopter parked in the cirque 18 days ago as well.  

Ugh.

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 15,699
Dylan Pike · · Sandy, UT · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 171

So, they just parked the heli, got out, went climbing, and flew home?

Fernando Cal · · CA, UT · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 5

why not just land at the top? 

Greg Opland · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 292

When the so-called super bloom was going on in California last spring, some knucklehead did the same thing, right in the middle of a bunch of people AND the field of flowers. I don't know if they ever got the guy, but they need to start pulling pilot licenses for that kind of b.s.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/california-helicopter-super-bloom-poppy-trnd/index.html

Mike Mu. · · hagerstown · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 65

Is it legal to hover and speed rap' out of that bitch?  As long as it doesn't land... I own a private jet and 2 of my own helos. spray

Fernando Cal · · CA, UT · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 5
JF1 · · Las Vegas · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 400

Dropping something, jumping out, landing all the same per wilderness regulation

mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120
JF1 wrote: Dropping something, jumping out, landing all the same per wilderness regulation

Not legal.

Stan Pitcher · · SLC, UT · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 210

Total BS!  Guessing the same guy from Provo who has been ferrying skiers around.   I would have a hard time not monkey wrenching the thing.  I have heard he's done some quick rescues which is great but keep the helis, drones, motor kites, ebikes etc out of the wilderness please.

Jake H · · Boise, ID · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Came across these dudes on YouTube running around the Sawtooths in a helo, they even landed at the base of Borah.

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

always bring your heli and nitro-explosives, in case of rescue

everyone knows this

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.