Mountain Project Logo

Mt Emerson Descent

Original Post
Keithb00ne Boone · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 115

I have been looking for information regarding avoiding the class 3 descent on Mt Emerson.  I only see very small mention of it as an option.   Anyone find an alternative way?   Is backtracking a good option?

kipp.fo · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 85
It’s very mellow and easy to find. Best and only way
Adam Becker · · Bishop, CA · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 26

Yeah. Did Emerson last month and I'm not sure what was "class 3" about that descent. It's just a lot of loose scree surfing. 

Considering taking gear for the easy 5th stuff.  What would you consider bringing?

Cory Brooks · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 1,488
Keithb00ne Boone wrote: Considering taking gear for the easy 5th stuff.  What would you consider bringing?

Cams. If your feeling old school, bring a hex 

Jason Gates · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 21

Bring a single rack to 3" if you want. I had a 30m skinny rope and stoppped using it after four hundred feet. climb in your approach shoes. The descent starts not more than 100 feet past the summit. Really it will make sense where to start stepping down cuz the ridge has an impass of something that will suddenly look hard.

Jason Gates wrote: Bring a single rack to 3" if you want. I had a 30m skinny rope and stoppped using it after four hundred feet. climb in your approach shoes. The descent starts not more than 100 feet past the summit. Really it will make sense where to start stepping down cuz the ridge has an impass of something that will suddenly look hard.

Thanks 

We had to bail off Mt Emerson yesterday due to circumstances.  There is a free 30m rope hanging from the first pitch if anyone wants it. 

Michael H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Keithb00ne Boone wrote: We had to bail off Mt Emerson yesterday due to circumstances.  There is a free 30m rope hanging from the first pitch if anyone wants it. 

I hauled your bail line off of Emerson yesterday. Next time, fix the rope directly to a horn and save yourself wasting a cordalette on a nonratrivable anchor. Or, use a locker on the cordalette anchor to make the pull easier if you’re trying to retrieve the rope. 

Do you want the rope back? I’d rather see it used by someone in the future than thrown in the trash. 
Michael H wrote:

I hauled your bail line off of Emerson yesterday. Next time, fix the rope directly to a horn and save yourself wasting a cordalette on a nonratrivable anchor. Or, use a locker on the cordalette anchor to make the pull easier if you’re trying to retrieve the rope. 

Do you want the rope back? I’d rather see it used by someone in the future than thrown in the trash. 

Thanks for cleaning that up.   We were trying to get down fast so it cost me a few bucks in leaving stuff behind.  The rope is yours or give it away.   I am from Vegas so probably not worth the effort to get back.   It’s a two year old Mammut and has some life left so enjoy!

RJNakata · · SoCal · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 455
Keithb00ne Boone wrote:

Thanks for cleaning that up.   We were trying to get down fast so it cost me a few bucks in leaving stuff behind.  The rope is yours or give it away.   I am from Vegas so probably not worth the effort to get back.   It’s a two year old Mammut and has some life left so enjoy!

We saw that rope Friday...green and wet!

RJNakata wrote:

We saw that rope Friday...green and wet!

Haha.   Hope you enjoyed your climb!   We made it up the chute to the point we hit a wall.   I believe we were suppose to cross the rib left but couldn’t figure out where.  Every where I looked left was dirty.   I tried to climb directly up on a flexing flake but bailed fearing disaster.  Any tips?

RJNakata · · SoCal · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 455
Keithb00ne Boone wrote:

Haha.   Hope you enjoyed your climb!   We made it up the chute to the point we hit a wall.   I believe we were suppose to cross the rib left but couldn’t figure out where.  Every where I looked left was dirty.   I tried to climb directly up on a flexing flake but bailed fearing disaster.  Any tips?

We climbed right around the waterfall  (wet and too many people) to the right of it, then back to the route on a catwalk.  No one was using your rope because we didn't know how it was attached on top. 

I can't think of where on the left of the first gully was dirty...For me (first time) the cross over left was higher up the mountain than I expected.  We went as high as possible in-line with the thin line of water.   The cross over was an easy up, then down into the parallel gully on the left (with no more water).  Incidentally there was another harder left cross over lower (before the slabs impasse), but it went nowhere.   

Had I known water for filtering was available really far up the climb I wouldn't have carried so much!  Ok, for some it's a physically easy climb - for me not so much, major tired after massive gullies and descent.  Hated it, but would do it again!! =)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Mt Emerson Descent "