Mountain Project Logo

Wrist strengthening / alignment

Original Post
Bob Joehill · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 1

Feel like my wrist strength is holding me back when climbing, especially on slopers (I think this may have something to do with the poor alignment of my wrists from posting on internet forums all day). Any stretches or exercises you all can recommend?

Jeff Moore · · Lake Forest, CA · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 67

"Wrist extensor flex/stretch" are good for keeping it loose. Pre, mid, post. Not for strengthening, just flexibility. 

Daniel Melnyk · · Covina · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 50

Hold a dumbbell in your hand palm down. Coco your wrist back and slowly lower it down until it is straight with the rest of your arm. Then repeat

Did this in physical therapy to help with wrist weakness, tendinosis in my wrist. 

Bob Joehill · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 1

Thanks for the advice guys, I will try both!

Jeremy B · · Hoboken, NJ · Joined Aug 2019 · Points: 0

check out crimpedout.com theres a bunch of good stuff for forearm and hand health that helped me get stronger. I really like the finger resistance bands because they help work the extensors which are often neglected by new climbers.  Those are basically the muscles that open the hand and since climbing really works the hand closing muscles, without working these you'll get imbalance or worse tendonitis

Ryan Henderson · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 115

What Daniel said.  I got dropped years ago and have had wrist strength issues since, and my PT person said the same.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "Wrist strengthening / alignment"