Mountain Project Logo

Las Cruces Organ Mountains Sugarloaf

Original Post
alex carey · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 215

Hi,

My dad(Stephen Carey) went missing in Las Cruces New Mexico on 07/08/2019 and is likely in the Organ Mountains, he hiked there a lot and sent pictures of Sugarloaf to us. I don't know if he went to Sugarloaf, but I'd potentially like to investigate and maybe climb one of the 5.6 routes. I am toying with the idea of leaving the family this weekend and flying out so I can be more involved with the search and maybe just to do something my dad and I never got to do together. He was also a climber and he taught us as kids, but I moved out of the sport for 10 years before picking it up again. Searching for a potential partner that has done some of the routes and would be interested in going with me.

I do NOT have a ton of multi pitch experience. I mostly climb single pitch trad up to 10c and sport to mid 11's. I know how to belay from above in a couple different ways and am familiar with escaping the belay, double rope rappels, setting trad anchors etc. I also do a fair bit of my climbing in Joshua Tree, so 20-40 foot runouts on 5.6 terrain don't bother me and I move pretty quickly. I am not trained in rescue and my rope management needs some work, especially if i'm working double ropes or its windy.

If you think i'm in over my head on this, let me know.

If you'd be interested in helping me out, let me know.

If you happen to be in the Organ Mountains, please keep a look out.

Thank you. 

Anthony McGlone · · Las Cruces, NM · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 15

Alex,

Will be climbing Sugarloaf this weekend, but have a full party already.

Will definitely keep a look out.  Keep hope alive. 

Thanks Anthony

I hooked up with Marta Reece, she'll be taking me out on Sunday. 

Amy Lenway · · Las Cruces, NM · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 0

Contact this man
I need to get i. Touch with his family please call me 575-386-0821 i grew up here i need more info fro. You. Literally i have slent my last 22 years at Baylor pass and surronding areas . i think he fell in the slats. Sw of Baylor pass

My aunts are in contact, thank you. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Las Cruces Organ Mountains Sugarloaf"