Mountain Project Logo

Gear at first flatiron

Original Post
Bethany Lebewitz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0

Hey we had some gear stuck at around the 6th Pitch of the first flatiron yesterday and on the ridge. If anyone climbs in this blazing heat and finds it, please dm me, will trade for tamales ;)

Troy Dudeman · · Elkview, WV · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 30

How about you go climb it in the blazing heat and get the gear back yourself?

Marc H · · Broomfield, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 255
Troy . wrote: How about you go climb it in the blazing heat and get the gear back yourself?

Settle down, West Virginia.  Not everyone works a M-F 9-5.

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 170
Bethany Lebewitz wrote: Hey we had some gear stuck at around the 6th Pitch of the first flatiron yesterday and on the ridge. If anyone climbs in this blazing heat and finds it, please dm me, will trade for tamales ;)

What happened, ‘twas too hot to work on it?

Bethany Lebewitz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0

The follow couldn’t get it out and it was on a traverse about 50 feet below so it felt more risky to TR down to grab it. I made a call based on the heat and the water we had left. My partner wasn’t feeling too well either so made a choice and ended up having to bail on the ridge a bit after that. Stuff happens. Obviously if I can get the gear back it’s great but safety and health was worth more at the time. Record heat yesterday

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 170

Yeah, kudos for making the right choices in the end, but going out in that heat on the Flatirons is gutsy.

Tan B · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 20

Smart choice. I've had that happen on some easy routes and felt like garbage at the time. But gear gets replaced and one day you'll find some booty you can claim as yours.

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883
Troy . wrote:
How about you go climb it in the blazing heat and get the gear back yourself?

While severe t storms roll in?   A hiker was killed last week nearby from lightning.

A free solo climber will get he gear tonight or early tomorrow almost guaranteed on this route. 
Mark D · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 10

If it was a blue x4, it's been bootied by a soloist.

Tan B · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 20
Mark D wrote: If it was a blue x4, it's been bootied by a soloist.

Damn Kyle Walker

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Lost and Found
Post a Reply to "Gear at first flatiron"