Mountain Project Logo

Pine Creek Canyong with Family

Original Post
Emmanuel Lacoste · · Covina, CA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 6

Looking for advice on Pine Creek Canyon, or other crack climbing areas to visit on weekends.

looking for straight forward and easy approaches, my three-year-old daughter is with us. Single pitch routes. I don't mind two ropes strung together, but the second will be top-roping so one of us is always on the ground.

Short approaches, flat bases, and fun cracks. Wife just had our second child, so back in shape type climbing.

Accessible hot spring would be awesome too?

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/105907296/pine-creek-canyon

Thanks ahead of time,
Emmanuel

splitclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 17

iris slab in Rock Creek would be a good option and probably a better and safer place to bring little kids.
you don't have to cross the creek to access, you can park near the campground entrance walk back down past the bridge then out to the crag

thatboyaintright . · · CALIFORNIA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 20

Done pine creek several times with my kid (who is now three). Approach is short, but be prepared to carry your kid pretty much the whole way there. Once we were at the base of the crab no problem. Bring two ropes for mega top rope on Rites of Spring or a microtraction. 

Jon Hillis · · Valley of Sun · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 0

Once you are done climbing at rock creek you can drive across the highway and hit up all the hot tubs!

That used to be a great way to end the day, now its pretty crowded down there. You can try to find a secret spot, there are a few, but all the good ones are well known and over used.

Emmanuel Lacoste · · Covina, CA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 6

Thanks for the advice. Looking to escape the south California heat. 

a d · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 5
Emmanuel Lacoste wrote: Looking for advice on Pine Creek Canyon, or other crack climbing areas to visit on weekends.

looking for straight forward and easy approaches, my three-year-old daughter is with us. Single pitch routes. I don't mind two ropes strung together, but the second will be top-roping so one of us is always on the ground.

Short approaches, flat bases, and fun cracks. Wife just had our second child, so back in shape type climbing.

Accessible hot spring would be awesome too?

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/105907296/pine-creek-canyon

Thanks ahead of time,
Emmanuel

Just curious, how are you planning to climb with two kids in tow (including presumably an infant) with no third adult?

phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,082

If you are looking to escape the heat, Pine Creek in not the best choice at this time of year.  Much of it does not get into shade until 1-2 PM.

Benton Crags esp the Locals Only Wall is an easy approach and good base with easy/moderate routes. AM shade at Locals only.  There are other nice cracks at other walls.  Your best bet is to look in the guidebook.
Triple Cracks area is kind of north facing and no approach.  Easiest route there is 5.8 if I recall but everything can be top-roped.
The Stumps has almost no approach and some easy cracks.  Base pretty good.  You can drive in there with a regular passenger car.

Mammoth Area guidebook...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Pine Creek Canyong with Family"