Mountain Project Logo

Child Gym Harness

Original Post
michael brooks · · Evergreen, CO · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 5

Can I get recommendations on a harness for a child, mostly for gym climbing, but I will take her outside occasionally as well. She is 10, and about 65 lbs.

Thanx

Also, if you are selling one let me know.

F Loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 537

I used the full body harness at first, but quickly moved to the BD kids sit style harness for my now 8yo boy. The risk of kids inverting and falling out with sit type are small after around 5-6 years old. Look at the petzl macchu harness, since it has two buckles for better adjustability. I see kids all the time sitting sideways after a fall when the tie in points aren't centered.
I do have a spare petzl(?) full body harness if you go that route though. No charge, just shipping if its over 5$.

Matthew Bertolatus · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 55

At that size any old kids harness will do, don't need a full body harness. 

Tiger Baishu · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 15

PETZL - MACCHU, Adjustable Seat Harness for Children

You don't need a full body harness for a 10 yrs kid. My daughter is 7. She's been using this harness for more than 1 year. It is pretty good and comfortable.

JP Hernandez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0

I use a full body harness for my 4 year old. Black Diamond Momentum Full Body Harness. BD KIDS HARNESSHe loves the fit. It’s comfortable and adjustable. We’ve used it inside and outside.

At10 years old they would prefer a regular harness. Maybe even an X-small adult harness. 

Joshua McDaniel · · Fayetteville, NC · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 90

Petzl Macchu...my 9 and 7 year old girls climb.  I think my 7year old is about 45 lb.  I've had no problems or concerns with them in this sit style harness. 

michael sershen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0
Tiger Baishu wrote: PETZL - MACCHU, Adjustable Seat Harness for Children
I concur with this.
My 6 y.o. just switched from full body to this harness this summer. He likes it and so do I.
It fits nice and is comfortable. It also helps him lower with better technique. He now uses his feet properly on the wall. before it was like lower a sack of potatoes.
He also likes that he is in an "adult" harness. 

Also at 10 y.o. there is probably no need for a full body harness.

Seems like the Internetz agrees with the Macchu. If she ends up needing a chest harness (doubtful), I can build one from webbing. Thanx all for the replies, much appreciated.

Paul L · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 225

I'll pitch a vote for the Camp Jasper.  My 5 year old, 50# son, recently switched from a full-body Edelrid to the Jasper and it is great.  He finds it comfortable and climbs both indoors and outdoors in it for pretty long periods of time. (2+ hours)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Child Gym Harness"