Mountain Project Logo

Getting back into it…

Original Post
Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150

A little background
Six weeks ago I had a bad crash on my mountain bike and broke four ribs in six places plus my scapula, all on my right side.

At the time of my injury my climbing was already at a pitifully low level of performance. Now with this additional setback I’m concerned about the best way to start up climbing again.

Any of you kind people have any experience getting back into climbing after an injury like this?  If so do you have any recommendations about a training program that I could use?

Brian Seegers · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10

Hey Chad,

Sorry to hear about your crash. I'd think the most important thing is to fix whatever issues arose from crashing. If you have PT to do do that. Then start doing some basic strength work pushups, pullups etc and gently climbing without causing too much pain. 

Seth Bleazard · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 354

I’ve never had an injury like this but I think a good general rule is: Don’t climb if your injury hurts. Don’t push it. As for training, ask doctors or others who have experienced the same things. Good luck! I hope you can climb and bike again soon!

Thanks for the info!  Unfortunately there is no real PT to recover from this. I’m going to start doing light weight lifting next week. Right now I’m hiking and stretching.

No biking for another six weeks. 

Thanks!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "Getting back into it…"