Mountain Project Logo

Best hand drill holder

Original Post
Nevadaslots 1963 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 70

A question for the folks that got more experience in the field. I'm looking for a new hand drill set up for out of the way routes mainly on sandstone but will have some hard rock from time to time.  Currently sporting the Fixe hand drill holder and have found it way too bulky and heavy.  Considering the Dammerr Bombproof, The D4 Hurricane sold by Runout Customs, and of course the Petzl Rocpec. Which would you choose? Looking for opinions.

kevin deweese · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 581

Dammerr bombproof much better for alpine. Small compact and I've drilled many many bolts with it in Yosemite granite

Hurricane is by far the best in terms of speed and efficiency but is a bit heavy (significantly when compared to the bomb proof) and large with more pieces not required for hds holders 

Rocpec sucks.  

Nevadaslots 1963 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 70

What exactly makes the hurricane so much more efficient? Compared to the others on the market.

I F · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 2,212

I have the rocpec. Drilled a handful of bolts. Its bulky, its heavy, it's slow. Wouldn't be my first choice for anything adventurous but its sturdy and has its uses.

Nevadaslots 1963 wrote: What exactly makes the hurricane so much more efficient? Compared to the others on the market.

The hurricane locks the bit in place allowing you to use hss bits instead of having to use hds bits with this style of holder. 

The hds bits/holders allow the bit to move back and forth in the hole (beneficial with a powered hammer drill because of the speed and number of impacts over a short period of time allowed because of that power, but irrelevant when hand drilling so you end up losing a bit of the drilling speed through lost impact force overall.) 

while the hss bits deliver the entire force of the hammer blow to the bit and thus the rock for faster drilling. 

Hss bits also tend to be cheaper than sds bits. 

Edit: this was also what made the old rawl hokders/bits so good. But as the rawl tapered bits for the holder become harder and harder to find, hurricane has become the defacto replacement 
Austin Goff · · Winston-Salem, NC · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 98

Love Dammerr product plus Dan is a great/knowledgeable dude. I have used his bombproof and liked it. I just got a nano for alpine routes. Hoping i dont need to use it but it is super lightweight and compact so its not a decision whether to bring or not. 

Clint Cummins · · Palo Alto, CA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 1,176

Petzl RocPec is actually the lightest, so it's what I use most of the time.
It's a pain the way it tends to pinch your palm flesh, though.
And the spring will break eventually (had this happen with 2 so far).

I have an original Hurricane which is nice, but heavy as Kevin said.

I have an earlier Dammerr holder (Bayonet) which is nice because it's short.
The later models are improved because the grip doesn't slide.

Sam Golden · · melbourne, FL · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 25
kevin deweese wrote:

The hurricane locks the bit in place allowing you to use hss bits instead of having to use hds bits with this style of holder. 

The hds bits/holders allow the bit to move back and forth in the hole (beneficial with a powered hammer drill because of the speed and number of impacts over a short period of time allowed because of that power, but irrelevant when hand drilling so you end up losing a bit of the drilling speed through lost impact force overall.) 

while the hss bits deliver the entire force of the hammer blow to the bit and thus the rock for faster drilling. 

Hss bits also tend to be cheaper than sds bits. 

Edit: this was also what made the old rawl hokders/bits so good. But as the rawl tapered bits for the holder become harder and harder to find, hurricane has become the defacto replacement 

What hss bits do you use for your hurricane drill? Runout use to sell these but is sold out right now...

M Hanna · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 5

Don’t know if any are around but I really love my old Pika with dual set screws. The single version came loose frequently....

nbrown · · WNC/Broomfield, CO · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 6,965
M Hanna wrote: Don’t know if any are around but I really love my old Pika with dual set screws. The single version came loose frequently....

Yeah, I have the single version and the screw has always been annoying. Drilled a ton of bolts with it though and it's still kickin'...

Spider Savage · · Los Angeles, ID · Joined May 2007 · Points: 535

I have a rubber handle Rawl which served the best.  Spare handle and bits $40 plus shipping from LA.

Also a handle similar to the Pika, holds an SDS bit. As mentioned above the screw loosens while using and you have to tighten it.  $20.

Both plus assorted bits for $50.  Maybe less if you come to my house and I don't have to pack them.  Sunland, CA

Sam Golden wrote:

What hss bits do you use for your hurricane drill? Runout use to sell these but is sold out right now...

I use sds bits. 

Kauait · · Sandy Utah · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0
M Hanna wrote: Don’t know if any are around but I really love my old Pika with dual set screws. The single version came loose frequently....

Pika (dual) w the bag is a great setup!

Dylan Pike · · Sandy, UT · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 197

I use one of Dan's bombproof holders. Its simple and works well. Highly recommend.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Big Wall and Aid Climbing
Post a Reply to "Best hand drill holder"