Mountain Project Logo

Harness Shelf Life

Original Post
Adam Shin · · Huntsville, AL · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0

Hey guys. So I found this Black Diamond harness in my garage that I bought around 2013. I used it some back when I first got it, but it's mainly just been sitting in my garage since 2014. Is this thing usable? Should I just toss it? I was going to sell it for cheap, but I didn't want to kill somebody if it's too old to use.

Ryan Williams · · London (sort of) · Joined May 2009 · Points: 1,255

It’s probably fine but do you want to be thinking about me next time you’re about to whip?

Layne Zuelke · · Baton Rouge, LA · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 30

If you are selling it cause you won’t use it yourself, then toss it. The n the other hand as long as it wA kept dry and away from chemicals it’s fine.

Mark Pilate · · MN · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 10

The fuck dude.  I’d call any of my shit “brand new” if it was from 2013.

Absolutely nothing to worry about

Guy Dude · · Bend, OR · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Yeah it’s probably safe but you should wear a second one just in case it fails. 

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,861

There has NEVER been a harness failure due to age alone. And FWIW 2013 isn't old, given that at least one manuf. says gear is good for 15 years (10 of storage + 5 of active use). And you know that's got to be way conservative if it's coming from a manufacturer.  Ultimately it's your call. I still gym climb in a harness that's closing in on 20 years old.

Ken Duncan · · Ft Collins, CO · Joined Jul 2004 · Points: 4,370

Age doesn’t matter it’s abuse, sunlight and chemical exposure that make any kind of webbing degrade.
Check out Walter Siebert’s multiple gear testing videos on YouTube. 

Slim Vincent · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

I believe harness manufacturers state that you should replace your harness every ten years regardless of use. Use it but do not sell it to someone. Harnesses aren’t that expensive considering how important they are to your safety. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Harness Shelf Life"