Mountain Project Logo

New Dawn rivet ladder condition

Original Post
Stan McKnight · · AZ · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 261

Does anyone know the condition of the rivet ladder on the upper pitches of new dawn on el cap (after it has joined wall of early morning light, I think pitches 16-19)?

Would it be prudent to go up there without a hand drill and some extra rivets/bolts, or is it in pretty bad shape?

Thanks for your help.

Hayden robinson · · Curry village, Yose · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 125

Take a rivit kit and leave it in the bottom of the bag, it’s like a pound. But i haven’t heard anything to bad. Those dowels are dowels so you never know but take some beer and have a blast

Stan McKnight · · AZ · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 261
Hayden robinson wrote: Take a rivit kit and leave it in the bottom of the bag, it’s like a pound. But i haven’t heard anything to bad. Those dowels are dowels so you never know but take some beer and have a blast

This is what I figured. I just don’t own a hand drill and am hesitant to buy one just for this purpose 

MikeI · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 5

My partner and I had a blast on Mescalito last month, but found some of the dowels pretty spooky. Replaced one rivet where one was missing. nullnull

I agree with Hayden regarding taking a rivet kit. You come off on one of the rivet/dowel pitches and chances are you’ll blow more than one. Have fun whatever you choose.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "New Dawn rivet ladder condition"