Mountain Project Logo

Recommendations for winter bouldering in the western US

Original Post
Zach Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0

Hello! I'm in the midst of some long-term travel right now and I'm trying to figure out where I want to be early next year, likely Jan-March-ish. I'm going to be in Oregon prior to that and I'll be driving, but I'm okay with long drive to anywhere in the western half of the country. I have a couple things I'm looking for:

• Close to outdoor bouldering, preferably within an hour, hopefully with other locations within 3 hours or so.
  • Reasonably sized town/city, enough that there is a good Airbnb market and an indoor gym
Right now I'm thinking Las Vegas might be a good choice - close to climbing, and Bishop/Joshua Tree/St George are also within weekend climbing distance. Staying in Bishop itself seems like it would be great, but haven't seen much in the way of reasonably priced Airbnbs there. Reno also seems like an option but I'm not sure how much lower-elevation climbing there is that would be in season at that time of year? I've also heard Tucson has some solid stuff, but I've never been down in southern Arizona so I'm unfamiliar with the climbing there.

Are there other spots I should be considering?
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Bouldering
Post a Reply to "Recommendations for winter bouldering in the we…"