Mountain Project Logo

Too Hot To Climb?

Original Post
Hank D · · Oregon · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0

I'm heading to Joshua Tree this July and was wondering if it gets too hot to climb there during the day, and what time of day is best. I will be top roping and bouldering.

Russ Walling · · Overlord @ FishProducts · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 3,426
Hank D wrote: I'm heading to Joshua Tree this July and was wondering if it gets too hot to climb there during the day, and what time of day is best. I will be top roping and bouldering.

Something around 3:30 AM is quite comfortable for a couple hours

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 311
Hank D wrote: I'm heading to Joshua Tree this July and was wondering if it gets too hot to climb there during the day, and what time of day is best. I will be top roping and bouldering.

Hank... we have many many more places to enjoy top roping and bouldering. Some really close to Josh. 

GDavis Davis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 10

July in the desert? No, very very hot. If you enjoy climbing in 80+ degree weather might squeeze in a couple hours before sunrise or after sunset but won't be very comfortable. That being said people do it all the time....

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 227

Go to tramway or black mountain to boulder, unless you like climbing in 100+ degree heat at josh...

jay2718 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2009 · Points: 5

You can climb, but you have to adjust your schedule. You have to get on the rock as close to first light as possible, and plan to be wrapping up your morning climbing by about 10:00am. Then you get in the car and drive to town. Do your shopping, check out Nomad, find a pool, whatever. Just find some A/C. Then you go back in the park at about 4:00pm and climb north-facing crack routes, such as at Hemingway etc.

You are likely to encounter snakes frequently on the roads and trails, be cautious when walking on trails and down-climbing in descent gullys and such.

Good luck!

J-- Kaiser · · Southern California · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 55

I was in J-Tree last weekend.  I bet it wasn't too hot for most people until 9:00am.  But I have climbed there before in 40C+ heat.  If you go in July-August on weekdays,,, you may have the whole park to yourself...  That time of year I recommend Tahquitz. 

Rocket Alchemy · · Louisville, CO · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

Is there ever clouds?

Rocket Alchemy · · Louisville, CO · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0
apogee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 0
J-- Kaiser wrote: That time of year I recommend Tahquitz. 

The snakes and loose rock are out of control in Idyllwild.

Holcomb Valley. That's your best bet.
Attentive Follower · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0
apogee wrote:

The snakes and loose rock are out of control in Idyllwild.

The old, sad, and bitter supertopo refugees are even worse.
apogee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 0

Refugee? Yeah, I suppose so.

Old, sad & bitter? Not at all. Not posting one's entire climbing life there has made a big difference in the ability to move forward. Just happy to be here!

Brian Allen · · Palm Desert · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 83

Yes, it's hot as mentioned but if you don't mind an early or late start it's not too bad.  I've climbed there in the summers from about 6:30AM to 10:30AM on west facing rocks as well as after 4:00PM on north/east facing rocks.  A number of other people I climb with find it tolerable despite the reputation of being an oven.

Andy Gorrill · · Joshua Tree, CA · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

Chase the shade and you'll be fine. The "classics" are extra slippery due to the caked-on chalk from the fair-weather crowds. Just bring extra water and play it safe. Have fun

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 227

Y'all crazy who climb josh this time of year! I am impressed!

Brian Allen · · Palm Desert · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 83
master gumby wrote: Y'all crazy who climb josh this time of year! I am impressed!

I'm more impressed with the campers who stick around during the day.  I'm always surprised with how many non-climbers are camping out during the summer.  I love the lack of climbers in the cooler mornings and evenings of the summer but don't get hanging around during the mid-day.

Locker · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 2,269

Depending on your sleep pattern, early morning and late afternoons are VERY doable.

For myself and partners, we head out at 4pm, climb until dark.

Needless to say, finding shade is a must! It's also somewhat limiting...

For someone visiting/camping, the super hot off hours may well be too much to deal with.

But if you can handle the down time (Always fun to people watch at Walmart. LOL!), head on out!

Russ...

"Something around 3:30 AM is quite comfortable for a couple hours"

LMFAO!!!...
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Too Hot To Climb?"