Mountain Project Logo

Guide book/MP disagreement

Original Post
Matthew Bertolatus · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 40

Comparing the Farris guidebook (most recent edition) for MN/WI to MP based on some climbs this last week, there's a bit of disagreement, most notably in climbs listed in the book that aren't on MP.  I can't find a comparable routes) on MP.  I'm happy to add them although want to be respectful of the author's copyright.  What is the site policy on this?

Examples:  North Tower/South Face at Palisade Head, Only the Lonely at Shovel Point.  

Jay Eggleston · · Denver · Joined Feb 2003 · Points: 19,432

Add them if you have climbed them.

Backwards Eric · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 637

Names of routes and FA details can be copied directly, but I think you are not supposed to copy descriptions from the guidebook - so make your own description (as Jay said, since you've climbed them you should be able to come up with something appropriate for that).

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 19,717

It is not Mountianproject's intent to replace guidebooks, but to provide a forum for one's personal experience(s) on the climb(s).

Add them in your own words/experience if you've climbed them. Do not copy the guidebook's description or photos. (Unless you get written permission of the author [unlikely] and cite it when posting.) As Eric indicates above, it's OK to use the guidebook for factual info like FA climbers and dates.

Try not to use a phrase from the guidebook in the MP description, but if you do, then put it in italic and credit the guidebook & author.

If there are, say, 4 climbs in the guidebook between your climb X and Y, in your description to X and your the description to Y it's ok to say something like " There are 4 climbs between X and Y, they are "climb X1 (5.5), climb X2 (5.6), climb X3 (5.7)  and climb X4 (5.8), see 'Best Guidebook for This Place', by John Smith "  [climb X1... etc being the name of the climb.]

If you put up a new route, or climb a route that has not been published anywhere [eg. Journal AAC, ACC, etc]  then check the "This is a New Route Box" when putting the climb into MtnPrjct.

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10
Matthew Bertolatus wrote: Comparing the Farris guidebook (most recent edition) for MN/WI to MP based on some climbs this last week, there's a bit of disagreement, most notably in climbs listed in the book that aren't on MP.  I can't find a comparable routes) on MP.  I'm happy to add them although want to be respectful of the author's copyright.  What is the site policy on this?

Examples:  North Tower/South Face at Palisade Head, Only the Lonely at Shovel Point.  

You mean nobody has added that beautiful masterpiece we did Saturday? The horror.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Guide book/MP disagreement"