Mountain Project Logo

WTB: OCUN Cams

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
bus driver · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 1,386

OCUN cams were sold in the late ‘90s / early 2000s. They are a simple design with no cam stops.  I think I’m the only person that likes them.
I’ll take them off your hands for $15-25 each. 

Im only interested in OCUN cams, I don’t want your WC flex friends or CLOG or other single stem flex cams. 

Identify them by the Allen bolt on the axle and no cam stops.  The logo on the runner is just an emblem and does not say OCUN (or at least the ones I have already don’t). 

See pic for example.

Jon Hartmann · · Ojai, CA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,345
Those look like my Rock Empire cams I bought in the early 2000’s, mine definitely have cam stops though. And a different cut out design. Funny enough, all the carabiners that came with them were Ocun.
bus driver · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 1,386

Haha. Yep. I’m familiar with the rock empire ones.  These came out in that same era and competed in the market with rock empire as budget alternative cams to BD etc. for some reason, I just like the OCUNs best.  They are long and lightweight. I feel my chances are slim of completing my set in hand sizes but MP seems like a good place to try.  I don’t place cams passively so the no cam stops has never really bothered me.  

Jon Hartmann · · Ojai, CA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,345

Yeah, they were the deal of the century for a beginning trad climber! It was $240 for the package deal! A full set of 8 cams, 8 carabiners, a set of off brand nuts and 8 shoulder length slings!
I remember when I was climbing with those cams in Joshua tree on my first 10.b called Spiderman. I was definitely climbing above my pay grade that day. I got to the upper section of a very flaring crack that only takes #4 cams and was pumping out like crazy. I took my last black rock empire cam which is equal to the black diamond #3, and placed it in the flaring crack anyway. I promptly fell and watched as the cam teetered back and forth on the absolute corners of the back lobes only. The front cams weren’t even touching the rock and I was terrified as I was depumping about the constant rocking motion on the completely open cam. I was sure happy about those cams stops that day. And then I had to finish out the climb without falling again. I don’t think I tried another 10.b for a year or two after that experience.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.