Mountain Project Logo

Climbing with a pack


Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 11

This is the only person authorized to wear a pack on a 3 pitch route:

Matt N · · Santa Barbara, CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 354

FACT: climbing with a pack sucks.

x15x15 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 205
Matt N wrote: FACT: climbing with a pack sucks.

FACT: bivying unplanned sucks. Why? Cuz you don't get your cheeseburgers!!! Duh! 

Just put the headlight on and keep on trucking. Some people might be surprised that you can climb at night... albeit slowly, but better than a long bivy!

Attentive Follower · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0
CO Climber wrote:

I’m just observing and learning, but isn’t L Kap a woman and engaging in this conversation and argument just like, and as much as, the males?

L Kap is debating real people on this thread. 

The backpack-haters are raging against an abstract stereotype that apparently threatens them.

CO Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

The strongest, most well written response in this long thread came from some four-eyed kid in the early stages of this thread.  It appears that not only does he climb well, he's also smart enough to move on and probably out climbing right now while everyone else, man and woman, is still on his and her respective pedestal.  

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,107
Artful Dodger wrote: ... a true alpha looks to what is better not what is best....

lolz.  aim high and strive for mediocrity!  that's what a true alpha does....

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,196

Actual picture of me leading with a backpack:

I’m a big kid now.

A backpack is a necessary evil. No big deal. Perhaps overutilized, but there are worse sins.

A huge hanging albatross of a backpack for the follower though? Walk the plank, matey. I prefer smaller packs between leader/follower.
Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,196
CO Climber wrote: The strongest, most well written response in this long thread came from some four-eyed kid in the early stages of this thread.  It appears that not only does he climb well, he's also smart enough to move on and probably out climbing right now while everyone else, man and woman, is still on his and her respective pedestal.  

Was that kid you? 

Artful Dodger · · London on Thames · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

CO Climber,
Sometimes we post thinking folks will get it but we think faster than we type and words don't always convey. I mean L Kap if I read her correctly is not trying to win. Whilst several above clearly are. Like you I am also observing and learning. I like what has been shared, have learned a lot about how to climb with more efficiency and what triggers some folks more than others. The correlation am making is to propensity given gender. As with all things, it depends on view, experience etc. Cause is always a difficult thing to nail down, thanks for pointing that out.

Mark Pilate · · MN · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 10
CO Climber wrote: The strongest, most well written response in this long thread came from some four-eyed kid in the early stages of this thread.  It appears that not only does he climb well, he's also smart enough to move on and probably out climbing right now while everyone else, man and woman, is still on his and her respective pedestal.  

If you mean Jordan’s post, think again.  

I’ll post a pic later doing exactly like the post.   Guarantee I’ll look like a dipshit if I climbed like that....I’ll even try to show the bellyful of water I guzzled the night before!  Lol. 
You may be right however that he is out climbing while I’m wasting time.  No argument there.  
Rue Kennington · · Essex, MA · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

In summer I never have on an outfit that has any secure pockets or any pockets at all larger than a couple packs of gum, so if I want to carry anything at all up without relying on my partner's pockets, if they have any, or clipping it to my harness, then I have to carry a pack. I drink a lot of water pretty much at every opportunity, and I wouldn't like to climb with it bouncing around on my harness, so, that's a reason in itself. Esp. as I really love bringing cold water that stays cold in my thermos, and a metal thermos banging around seems a particularly regret-worthy idea. It's a little annoying to learn that I have to be concerned about other people judging me and steering clear of me just because I've no pockets and like a cold drink. 

L Kap · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 45
Buck Rio wrote: This is the only person authorized to wear a pack on a 3 pitch route:

10/10 would climb with him. Might ask him for pack recommendations too. 

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 11
CO Climber wrote: The strongest, most well written response in this long thread came from some four-eyed kid in the early stages of this thread.  It appears that not only does he climb well, he's also smart enough to move on and probably out climbing right now while everyone else, man and woman, is still on his and her respective pedestal.  

Or bored at work...

CO Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0
Colonel Mustard wrote:

Was that kid you? 

BURN!  I felt that a thousand miles away Colonel. I now see why you posted so much in the Kyle Walker thread. Your wit is the only foil to Kyle’s vast intellect. Bravo sir. I bet you also secretly write President Trump’s tweets for him too!  It’s an honor to know a celebrity. 

EDIT: Mark Pilate, please post that picture of your belly!
Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,196
CO Climber wrote:

BURN!  I felt that a thousand miles away Colonel. I now see why you posted so much in the Kyle Walker thread. Your wit is the only foil to Kyle’s vast intellect. Bravo sir. I bet you also secretly write President Trump’s tweets for him too!  It’s an honor to know a celebrity. 

Mark Pilate,You should just ignore me. You’re too smart and genuine. Go climbing with a pack like I did last week. :-)

Thank you for your post of support and for noticing my Kyle Walker tweets. I’d like to think I helped make the climbing community a less welcome place for him.

L Kap · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 45
Rue Kennington wrote: It's a little annoying to learn that I have to be concerned about other people judging me and steering clear of me just because I've no pockets and like a cold drink. 

Eh, their loss. Let the packless find each other and enjoy their crumbly pocket bars, their empty 1/2 liter butt flasks, and their headlampless nights together.   

Attentive Follower · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0
x15x15 wrote:

FACT: bivying unplanned sucks. Why? Cuz you don't get your cheeseburgers!!! Duh! 

Just put the headlight on and keep on trucking. Some people might be surprised that you can climb at night... albeit slowly, but better than a long bivy!


So you're the guy I saw with a headlamp hanging off his harness.
x15x15 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 205
Attentive Follower wrote:


So you're the guy I saw with a headlamp hanging off his harness.

Wrong brahji, brahji... I ain't no hangdogging squirt climber!!! Any real climber knows, soon as you're hanging, you ain't a real climber. As soon as you're hanging it's time to call it quits... and I ain't no hangdogging squirt climber!!!

Why Bother · · Golden, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 91

Randomly searching on something else today and came across this, here's an example of belay escape failure that appears to have caused the death of the leader:

Accident report

Basically leader fell hit his head and was unconscious.  The second, without understanding of how to tie off the leader lowered the unconcious leader who became entangled and effectively hung by the neck and suffocated.  Obviously yes sounds like there were other errors leading up to that but if the second could have just tied off the leader and escaped at least he might have lived.

Hate to re-enter this cesspool but thought it was useful to read.

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 138
Mark Andes wrote: Randomly searching on something else today and came across this, here's an example of belay escape failure that appears to have caused the death of the leader:

Accident report

Basically leader fell hit his head and was unconscious.  The second, without understanding of how to tie off the leader lowered the unconcious leader who became entangled and effectively hung by the neck and suffocated.  Obviously yes sounds like there were other errors leading up to that but if the second could have just tied off the leader and escaped at least he might have lived.

Hate to re-enter this cesspool but thought it was useful to read.

There is zero evidence presented that "escaping the belay" would have made the slightest difference in this tragic outcome.

Maybe you can share with us what you think the second should be doing by "escaping the belay"?
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Climbing with a pack"

Log In to Reply