Mountain Project Logo

Best midlayer top and softshell jacket for 6 days Mt. Baker?

Original Post
Brad F · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0

Can anyone recommend me good midlayer top and softshell jacket for 6 days?

Jerome Penner · · Louisville KY · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 30

R1 or NW alpine black spider hoodie for MW layer and just get something to cut the wind like a Arcteryx Squamish. You will have more layering options that way. I like a really thin base layer, nw alpine hoodie and a Squamish wind jacket. I wore that for 6 days on rainier last year up to 11k and wear it rock climbing all winter here in Kentucky as low as mid 20's. As long as you are moving its plenty warm and you can unzip layers to regulate heat as opposed to taking them off.

AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255

I'd go with a long sleeve Capilene, Squamish Hoody and a Nano-Air or Nano-Air Light Hoody for an insulation layer.  Modern "Active Insulations" are arguably lighter, more compressible and dry much faster than most fleece options.

Chris K · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 56

active midlayers combine midlayer insulation with softshell. baselayer plus Ascendant/Nano-air/Proton, if you're colder while moving, add an R1. If you stop throw on the puffy. If you want a thicker softshell go baselayer,R1,Squamish/Ferrosi/Dawn Patrol

Chris C. · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 337

I usually go with fewer layers than most people, but it works well for me-

Sun hoody (Icebreaker Sphere Hoody)
Mid insulation puffy (Acteryx Atom LT)
Lightweight hardshell (Arcteryx Alpha SL)

A lighter weight shell like the Alpha SL will be 2 layer goretex instead of 3 layer. 2 layer is a lot more breathable than 3 layer. I basically use my Alpha SL in place of a soft shell. 

Andy Kingrea · · Bedford, VA · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0

Hey Brad, just got off Baker a couple weeks ago actually. Don’t know about you but I run hot/sweaty, combined with the fact that it’s fairly warm at this point in the season on Baker, so my best bet was a mid-lightweight synthetic base layer. Plus it’s pretty wet (a lot of rain) right now so anything wool is gonna get soaked and won’t wanna dry out. I wore a gridded fleece with a hood during the day and in the a.m. and that was enough combined with my base layer and soft shell to keep me warm (for the most part). I used my puffy very little except for on breaks to stay warm. As for the softshell, I went with the Patagonia Houdini and I could NOT have been more pleased. Keeps out 99% of the wind and is still breathable enough to wear while working up the mountain. This same combination of layers is what I used on several lesser cascade mountains as well as Hood just after Baker.
On a side not, be sure to use the summer trails on the lower reaches, the winter trails have you crossing glacier creeks that are now exposed and you’ll be postholing like crazy.

Jason4Too · · Bellingham, Washington · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

If you're going to be on Baker for 6 days I'm guessing it's for a course of some sort.  Find out how much standing you'll be doing relative to movement at an athletic pace.  I was just up there for a few days for a course and had an OR Ascendent hoody over a BD sun shirt.  Depending on the weather sometimes I had an OR Helium hybrid and/or an OR Uberlayer over the Ascendent.  These are typically my go-to winter layers as well but I sub in a full weight Gore Tex shell instead of the Helium jacket.  I almost brought a heavier puffy for hanging out in camp but I got chilly just about sunset and jumped in my sleeping bag instead of putting on an extra layer.  We had broken clouds light wind while we were out and temps in the mid 30s to mid 40s.  It rained just a bit on us as we were packing up camp.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "Best midlayer top and softshell jacket for 6 da…"