Mountain Project Logo

La Sportiva Kataki 42.5 EU (Used Once) $155 with shipping

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
Andre N · · Northampton, MA · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 35

This is basically new. As mentioned I’ve used it only once. I’ll ship it within no more than 24 hours from receiving payment. Comes with original box so you get the whole “as new” experience :)
I climbed a few pitches in the Gunks with it and it treated me well. I convinced myself that the fit was right but I really need to size these tighter since I already have a pair of Butoras that are fitted for long days.

Eliot Coffey · · Bay Area CA · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0

These shoes sell for $127.50 new (from large retailers) when they are on sale, which is basically half of the year.

I hate to be that guy, but come on dude. This price is ridiculous. I wouldn't even believe you paid more than this price for them unless you're a fool. People don't come to buy used gear to pay more than retail.

Sold

You know, I've found a lot of helpful people in this community, I have and will continue to learn a lot from other folks that are willing to help and share their knowledge in constructive ways. I suppose you assume you are being helpful too and maybe the Banana Fingers link you included will get someone to get a good deal on a pair of new shoes. But since we are in the realm of unrequested public opinions, I'll suggest that next time you have similar feedback you contact the person via pm. You might just find out that there is a context to the conversation that you are missing in your assumptions including the assumption that I am here to rip someone off.
   I'm really not sure where the public righteous indignation about this is really going to get you individually in this conversation or maybe others in the future. But hey, we all use our time in whatever way it suits us. The price was negotiated via pm and it was significantly less than advertised. I started with a high offer, the buyer came in low and we met in the middle. You seem bright enough to know that the listed price of an item can often be a starting point for negotiation. Or maybe you are not that bright and you don't get it and if that is the case I apologize for such a terrible assumption on my part. I suppose I could have emphasized that the price was open for negotiation. It seems like such an obvious thing for used gear on a peer to peer transaction but that's cool, I'll keep that in mind for next time.
   Like many these days, you seem to be interested in policing other people's behaviors without really having a full understanding of the situation. I haven't been climbing for that long but I have been climbing long enough to value the sport, the lifestyle and the community greatly. I value what I think your intention was but I don't care at all for how you went about expressing it. Perhaps you can now either continue the unnecessary bashing here on a topic that you feel entitled to express your opinion or just find another thread to keep doing the same. Or even better, just do both! You can keep the righteous indignation going here and in other threads at the same time. It's all a matter of how much time you have available and what you'd like to do with it.
   Oh yeah, and saying that you don't want to be "that guy" sometimes is just a way of inviting yourself to be entitled, accusatory and shortsighted. It's not quite a type 1 jerk territory but pretty close to it.

Best regards and use your time wisely.

David Laney · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0
Eliot Coffey wrote: https://www.bananafingers.co.uk/climbing-shoes/la-sportiva/kataki

Some poor bastard just got ripped off.

This is so dumb. I just moved out East from Arizona and I've seen more rain here in one Spring than in a few years in the desert. I just got out to Cathedral ledge for he first time and can't wait to climb at Canon. I've met some nice folks here and after years avoiding mountain project forums I decided to join just in case I wanted to get something. I thought the asking price was ridiculous and that got me thinking, maybe this guy just wants a back and forth on the price. The guy asked for $155, I offered $80. He countered my offer and we closed it at what felt like a good deal. Definitely below the banana finger crap you posted, which by the way has almost $20 of shipping included making it a decent deal new but not great. 

Hell, It's not even lunch time on Monday and the shoes have already been shipped! I'm stocked! Now if only the rain stops I'll get to actually put these puppies to use!

Go do something else dude...

My deepest condolences at having offended the sensibilities of so many MPers. I appreciate you all taking the time to school me on my vanity and self-righteousness.

I'm just chillin, taking 5 minutes to protect my fellow climbers from someone posting a silly price for used gear. I view OPs behavior as at best ignorant of what things are worth, and and at worst disingenuous. I don't really care what is actually happening, but I often assume the worst of people on the internet...

...Something you all are clearly intimately familiar with.

Cheers everyone. Also Honnold looks utterly stoked in my profile photo, imo.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.