Mountain Project Logo

Approach shoe, built in sock?

Original Post
Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Dumb question but probably easy to answer... I used to trail run a lot in Salomon's. Most of them had a built in sock(hugs the foot well, and keeps the shoe tight. also good for barefoot in shoe)

Is there a good approach shoe with the same built in sock design? Would like to go barefoot in the shoe since I dont wear socks when I switch over to climbing shoes.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 210

Terrex solo and five ten access, terrex used to have a model with a nice open cell neoprene upper but it would appear that approach shoes weren't doing it for Adidas. 

mbk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

Not exactly an answer to your question but I find the TX2s surprisingly comfortable with no socks.

rkrum · · Here and there · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 61

Arcteryx acrux

Alex Holmann · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 21

You cab check out the Astral TR1 hiking shoes. While not an “actual” approach shoe if you aren’t trying to climb much in them they should be perfect. Also, they are pretty comfortable to wear barefoot.

Christian Warther · · Cottonwood Heights, UT · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 10

2nd on the Arc'teryx. 

ebmudder · · Bronx, NY · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 55

On Sale!
Mammut alnasca​​​

Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
ebmudder wrote: On Sale!
Mammut alnasca

Good responses people. Thank you! Love that this is a link to the shoe on sale. Dont know fits but I'll try some around size 8 and if they dont fit you'll find them on the sale forum.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Approach shoe, built in sock?"