Mountain Project Logo

What conversion of lat/lon is the widget doing?

Original Post
Grant Mercer · · Henderson, NV · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 180

Hey, anyone know what format the Mountain Project widget uses for latitude and longitude coordinates? For example, Limekiln canyon is located at roughly: longitude -114.001, latitude 36.661 (map link)

When zooming into this area in the mountain project widget however, it has x=-12691489 and y=4391584

These coordinates are pretty far off, any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Charles O · · Oklahoma City · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

MGRS? 

Zach Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0

Wgs84

Nick Ingalls · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 78

Hey Grant,

I work for Mapbox, the company that builds the map viewer that powers Mountain Projects maps. I can't see
specifically where you are getting coordinates from in the widget. If you posted a screenshot I could probably tell
you for sure.

My best guess however is that you are seeing coordinates in EPSG:3857, more commonly known as Pseudo-Mercator or Web-Mercator.
It is the most common projection used for web based maps as it enabled us to tile the data through the use of quadkeys.
Any time you zoom out and the world is represented in a rectangular on the web, there's a good chance you're working with the web mercator projection.

The standards organization maintains a user friendly coordinate transformation tool here.

Grant Mercer · · Henderson, NV · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 180
Nick Ingalls wrote: Hey Grant,

I work for Mapbox, the company that builds the map viewer that powers Mountain Projects maps. I can't see
specifically where you are getting coordinates from in the widget. If you posted a screenshot I could probably tell
you for sure.

My best guess however is that you are seeing coordinates in EPSG:3857, more commonly known as Pseudo-Mercator or Web-Mercator.
It is the most common projection used for web based maps as it enabled us to tile the data through the use of quadkeys.
Any time you zoom out and the world is represented in a rectangular on the web, there's a good chance you're working with the web mercator projection.

The standards organization maintains a user friendly coordinate transformation tool here.

Thanks for the informative answer!

I'm also very aware of Mapbox, and I'm extremely jealous of your job   ; it's my dream job to work as a map rendering engineer there. Almost landed the position a year ago but no die, hopefully you guys will be looking for another rendering engineer sometime soon so I can try my luck again! 

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 3,988

A couple people have asked that actually.  I posted the actual code here: mountainproject.com/forum/t…

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Help
Post a Reply to "What conversion of lat/lon is the widget doing?"